Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the midst of restoring the front suspension components and put together the upper control arm parts after painting with Steel-It in black, with Steel-It gray where the control arm would have been left unpainted from the factory.

Using Moog parts. Bushings do not appear seated correctly. What say you? Thanks so much for any guidance.
Automotive lighting Grey Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Bumper Bicycle part
Automotive tire Carbon Bicycle part Rim Wood

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
I would like to relay a tale of my experiences with rebuilt front lower control arms for my 98TA. I went to the GM dealer for a full new front suspension. I was given a choice of new GM control arms or having mine rebuilt. I chose rebuilt because they said they had an old fart expert at older cars like mine. It went badly. The first day driving the car, the left front arm came loose with a loud noise while turning into a parking lot. It was still very driveable but with horrible squeaking sounds and veering to the right when braking . The dealer replaced the rebuilt arm with a new GM one at no cost for me. A year later I had a problem with the car veering to the left while braking and some minor squeaking. That was very similar to the experience before on the other side but reversed veering but I waited several years, just being skeptical of the cause. Then I ordered a Chinese-made replacement arm online and did the replacement myself two years ago. The symptoms disappeared. Will this aftermarket arm last as long as the original....definitely not. But I may be dead and gone before that happens;-) Who knows.
You can buy new arm online for your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were pressed in and on the metal shell, though perhaps not hard enough - a friend did them for me. Will try my hand at it tomorrow, of course using the correct press tool.

Also, am aware new ones can be purchased already assembled. But, given the rarity of the car (it’s one of the 1100 SE Y84 W72 4-speed cars), trying to keep it numbers matching, thus restoring the original parts. That said, will see how the press works tomorrow and will report back. Thanks so much.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
In my too-long experience, numbers matching matters less than enjoying the ride ;-) I collect memories, not cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts