Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Trans Am 301 4 spd WS6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the best OEM match for the light blue interior. SEM doesn’t appear to have a matching product, OER has a light blue and Ames has a light blue they claim is a good match for PUI light blue. My vinyl seats are still a good color (fronts were covered since almost new) so I don’t need upholstery. The hard plastic back, is in great shape with a large area never having been exposed, to the sun so my third option is to have custom color interior paint mixed. I have an OER replacement console top in light blue I could use to color match. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
SEM vinyl paint comes in pints & quarts. If you have an eye for color, you can probably mix a pretty close approximation to your blue interior.

Post a pic of your interior. I might be able help you decide what colors to use. Also SEM color chips would be helpfull to find a starting place in mixing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SEM vinyl paint comes in pints & quarts. If you have an eye for color, you can probably mix a pretty close approximation to your blue interior.

Post a pic of your interior. I might be able help you decide what colors to use. Also SEM color chips would be helpfull to find a starting place in mixing.
Attached are two pics of interior parts as the interior is in boxes right now. The arm rest A pillar trim and the glove box lid are laying on the seat back that had been covered for 40+ years and the glove box lid off the seat back is the OER light blue replacement.
Bumper Automotive exterior Grey Wood Auto part

Automotive design Rectangle Bumper Wood Grey

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
Are you wanting to dye the faded pieces to look like the new piece? Or are you trying to dye the new piece to look like the older pieces?

Either way I must consult the SEM color chart. SEM products in pint & quart cans are available at automotive paint stores

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
Just consulted the SEM color chart. They only have 1 shade of blue. You could mix it with white to get a color somewhat like factory. The new part has a tiny touch of green to it also. That is if pics are spot on.

But don't give up. Most auto paint stores will have a color mixing system that should be able to match your OEM interior color. If their charts go back to 79. But if not, I believe you'll find a close color in the original interior color charts. charts

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
Just a thought from someone whose interior painting is mostly limited to using Eastwood (pretty sure same as SEM) rattle cans.

Body shops routinely use “computerized” (spectrophotometer?) color matching for exterior paints. They scan the vehicle paint, have a small batch blended, paint a test card and let the experienced painter judge how well the new paint will match the existing. The shop did this when painting the new Ram Air hood for my Formula.

Would think that technology could be applied to interior vinyl paints. Pick the panel you prefer current color and see if a paint shop can do a match and blend up enough to paint all the interior parts. Painting all the panels eliminates issues with the exact precision of the match and need to blend adjacent panels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, I intend to try to get a match to the original pieces in the un-faded area as I don't intend to redo the dash since it is still in really good shape and matches the original pieces in color. I have spoken to a body shop I deal with and they indicated they can scan the pieces and get color matched plastics paint for me, guess that is the way to go. I'll come back and update when I get to the final painting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts