Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please be kind as I am new to the forum, and to repairing my dads firebird he has neglected for so long.

I have a 1979 Trans Am with the Pontiac 6.6 400, with the 4 speed transmission. A few years ago it would not go into gear, he had issues at times getting it into gear while he was going down the road, that said it will no longer go into gear, no matter how hard i try. A neighbor seemed to think it was the clutch fork, i have not had the ability, nor the means to fix it but I now can and will and need some hints/tips and any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It sounds clutch related at least or shift linkage but we will need more info than that .

You may need to just start checking the shifter neutral alignment and pull the inspection cover and see if the

clutch is disengaging from the flywheel .

Here is some info for you.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/faq/#11

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
First you need to look in engine compartment for the clutch linkage components. There's a part of linkage that is mounted to engine and part of the linkage is mounted to frame. Have assistant push clutch pedal down to floor and see if linkage is moving. And going the full travel that it is designed to.

If that's ok, raise car, support with jack stands and crawl under to inspect linkage going to bell housing of trans and clutch fork. There's usually a cover over where clutch fork goes into bell housing. Remove it so you can see clutch fork.

Have assistant push clutch pedal again. See if linkage is working and clutch fork is being pushed it's full travel.

The part of linkage bolted to engine, it's a round shaft, has a grease fitting if memory serves me correctly. Grease the part.

Do these checks and report back. If clutch linkage and fork are all working correctly, there probably is clutch problem or transmission problem.

So have assistant try to shift gears with engine off. See if shifter linkage is binding and/ or hanging up. When I had my 74 corvette, the shifter linkage would occasionally select 2 gears at once. That would lock the transmission in those gears and I would have to crawl under car, unbolt shift rods. Then manually put trans back to neutral.

Also check transmission for proper level of gear oil. Manual transmissions of the period used gear oil to lube them. Not auto trans fluid like modern manual transmissions.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When you are looking at the clutch linkage look for the bars to have the round holes in them worn to look like slots this is bad

Also the rods can be worn real thin where they ride in those holes

All this causes a lot of slop

·
Registered
596 Posts
has to be a clutch release issue.A man trans with no lube will still change gears if the clutch releases.Not good for the bearings in the trans but look at every component from the pedal down to the clutch fork and throw out bearing.I broke a TOB once and could not drive the car..Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts