Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 77 and noticed that there was no clutch on the fan? seems to me that this will rob the motor of power. I'd like to put a fan clutch on it. Anyone have advice? Thank you, Kanedit.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
When i purchased my 78, i noticed the same thing. The reason that this modification is done, is so that 1, the fan is always spinning at it's fastest speed to increase cooling capabilities, and 2nd, no clutch tightening/loosening maintenance required.

On my vehicle however, the drag is soo much, that it causes the belt to squeal every time the vehicle is revved. Including at startup. To resolve this, i am just going to switch to dual electric fans. You can add a hayden severe duty clutch however. This will reduce the initial drag on the engine. But keep an eye on that temp gauge! Because it might have been swapped to fix a overheat issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i purchased my 78, i noticed the same thing. The reason that this modification is done, is so that 1, the fan is always spinning at it's fastest speed to increase cooling capabilities, and 2nd, no clutch tightening/loosening maintenance required.

On my vehicle however, the drag is soo much, that it causes the belt to squeal every time the vehicle is revved. Including at startup. To resolve this, i am just going to switch to dual electric fans. You can add a hayden severe duty clutch however. This will reduce the initial drag on the engine. But keep an eye on that temp gauge! Because it might have been swapped to fix a overheat issue.
ok, thanx, gonna put a clutch on it, im a gauge watcher anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts