Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the wiring for power door locks or could share some advise.

I don't think this car had power door locks to begin with, but I had a couple of GM actuators and I see there are the original "dash toggle switches" now available so I purchased one. This, switch, of course, sits next to the rear window defog switch and kind of finishes the small panel.

I installed both actuators and tested them (they each have 2 wires) by touching the leads to the +/- sides of the battery and they did indeed work fine. I ran the two wire leads of each of the actuators through the door jamb and had them meet at the switch area. I hooked a constant power wire from the cigar lighter to the middle post on the switch and and tried several different ways to hook up the 4 actuator wires but have had no luck.

After a frustrating day of failure I thought I would look into the dash cavity behind and beside the r defogger switch and much to my surprise there was a 3 prong connector so I plugged in the switch. I also located, just left of the steering wheel near the main fuse block an "L" shaped plug-in receptacle with a dark green and black wire.

When I test the switch one way, power goes to one of the leads on this particular plug-in receptacle. I assume, likely incorrectly, this is where the originally equipped drivers side door lock wires would have plugged in after coming through the door jamb. Problem is I cant find the same receptacle on the passenger side of the dash behind the glove box.

So, as hard as this is for me, I'm one of those guys that will drive around lost for hours before I stop and ask for directions, here I am a week into this and I am asking for some HELP.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Up until 1977 they were different and used solenoids, from 78 they used the common actuators used until roughly 1992. So you may now have a combination of wiring ideas. Likewise 77 used the dash switch, 78 used on doors and wiring was different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I will look closely at the actuators to try to determine the vintage.
By the way, would you happen to know if there should be a "plug in" on the passenger side under the dash to accept the wires coming through the door jamb from the R side actuator?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any factory manuals or wiring diagrams? Perhaps 76/77 and then a 78/79 or so?
No manuals. I found a free site to download the wiring. but it requires a credit card and I tried several times and it never did give me access.
But I did find that the door lock actuators are out of a 74 or 75 Cadillac ElDorado
I wish I could find if there is a seperate harness for the door locks and what it looks like.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well, the actuators for the early version GM possibly work better with the early version dash switch than what was more likely. It's 4am here, I'll shoot you a PM in the morning with some electrical diagrams.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just confirming, you have this style solenoid, not necessarily identical:

And not this type of actuator:

Check your PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I'm sure the information you shared will get me to the bottom of the issue. I will let you know my findings once I have it figured out.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I added some links in previous reply. Nah, I'm just grasping at straws and buying time until someone who actually knows steps up! What I sent still seems to avoid anything useful. The later years are much better for diagrams and details.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,323 Posts
There are numerous wiring diagrams listed in the Tech Articles, 2nd Gen, Master Index. Also there is a 76-81 Parts Guide that has numerous exploded diagrams that can be very useful.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I went through all of them. What seems commonly mentioned in 78+ seems rarely mentioned in pre-78, like wiring diagrams for different accessories like power locks for dash version and solenoids. I thought I had one somewhere but haven't seemed to locate where it was hiding, or if even of use. Early years guys who own these cars probably know, but getting them to reply is another thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts