Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and didn't know if this was the right one to post on. I have a 1976 trans am that has its hood rusted shut. It was passed down to me and has been sitting for 20+ years. The hood is rusted onto the latch. The only part rusted on is the sheet metal. the upper frame of the hood is intact and not attached. The release lever seems disconnected and i tried rust treatment spray and nothing works. I didn't know if anyone else has run into the problem and had any tips or if i would have to find some work around. I am unable to get under it at the moment due to location so if any solutions without having to get under the car would be great.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The latch can also be rusted, the spring breaks and the cable is unable to pull it open or it falls closed again. Still a tricky one to work out exactly what or how to access, haven't had to do it. But I've had a faulty latch with broken spring and could see how it would have caused issues if I had tried to use, didn't have hood installed luckily. In an extreme case, may have to get under the latch with grilles etc removed and cut a border in the radiator support where the latch is so hood can be opened and latch and cut section opens with it attached, obviously further repairs/replacing will be required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts