Firebird Nation banner

1975 firebird muffler that fits stock tailpipes

601 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Aus78Formula 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a muffler that will fit in the stock location in the rear, with the single in from the engine and the dual out to each tailpipe?

#2 ·
Literally every company that sells "performance exhaust systems" sells the muffler you want, there's nothing special about it. There are a few "one inlet, 2 outlet" for you on the page I'm linking. I personally like the sound of MagnaFlow, so that's the link you get. If you prefer some other companies sound, hit up their website or catalog.

Good luck... I always cringe when trying to buy a muffler. They either make or break the sound for me. I can't stand the sound of Borla for example. I think Borla systems sound like absolute s***, but, they are certainly well loved and respected by many. I'm more into the MagnaFlow, Thrush, or FlowMaster "turbo muffler" note versus (my opinion) Borla's flimsy/tinny reverberating straight-pipe noise.

#4 ·
Ya. Certainly no lack of choice, and that in itself is paralyzing without a doubt. Maybe go to a Classic Car Show and sample the sounds. When you find one with a note you like, ask what it is and go for it.

#5 ·
Make sure you know the diameter of you intermediate pipe, where it goes into the muffler. That might vary with engine size/HP.

#7 ·
Sometimes the part that goes into the muffler is a different size than the rest of the pipe. And I don’t know the details of the 2nd Gen exhaust. Which is rotted out, the muffler or the intermediate pipe? Or both?

#9 · (Edited)
Sounds like you are after a replacement crossflow muffler. Drive into nearest exhaust shop and let them look. After nearly 50 years, the exhaust may have had an almost stock replacement added a few times, especially the muffler. As we say for every time you start a new topic of same subject, talk to an exhaust shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.