Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was it possible to order a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am with the Fiberglass Formula twin scoops and not the shaker scoop? Also, this does not look like a model year 1970 due to no indication of a rear chrome bumper.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
Body (cowl) Tag will tell you everything you need to know.

·
Premium Member
84 T/A 301T T5, 3.73s
1,207 Posts
Interesting question. (Formula hood on a T/A). With the options available in those days, I guess anything is possible.
The orange car above, looks like a clone, or tribute car. Can't see the back bumper, but all 70-73s were chrome back there. This car looks like all the chrome was gone, (headlite trim too) so it's cheaper to paint it, rather than chrome it. And the grills look more like 73 to me, cause of the Pontiac logo, and blackened all the way out.
I thought this thread was gunna ask about the shaker scoop, added to the Formula hood, (Like Chips, and Poncherella).Which to me always looked ridiculous.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,422 Posts
I don't believe you could order a Trans Am with a Formula hood. You could order it Shaker Delete, but then you got a plain hood.

The grill inserts for 70 & 71 are the same, small rectangles (see mine - PITA to clean)

The chrome bumper could have been painted to match the body.

To add a little history:
The original plans for the Trans Am was the Formula hood. But Pontiac felt pressured to have a Shaker hood, similar to Mopar. Soooo the Formula got the cool, more aerodynamic hood and the Trans Ams got the Shaker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts