Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a gas cap for their 69 bird that actually fits? I have bought 2 for mine both said they would fit. Neither one does. The first cap was a non vented and the second was vented. The one I have on it is a locking that the rubber is shot on. The second one looked pretty good but the inner ring is to small to lock it in the tank. Looks to me like the inner ring would have to be just under 1.5". The one I just got 1.5" to the locking tabs so it just falls out. I just want to get one that fits. Starting to get frustrated and was wondering if anyone had run into this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will look into that and see if that works. The cap I just tried was supposed to be for a 69 camaro and did not fit. At least it would be easier to return.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok went to the car show. Tried gas caps from 69 camaro, 68 gto and 67 gran prix. All are to small for my tank neck. Mine must be some kind of replacement with a larger size neck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
My '70 looks like it measures the same as yours using a tape measure as you did. 70's had a vented cap (except perhaps CA cars). I could get exact measures easily since it's out of the car if it'll help you.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '70 looks like it measures the same as yours using a tape measure as you did. 70's had a vented cap (except perhaps CA cars). I could get exact measures easily since it's out of the car if it'll help you.
If you would measure that would be great. The outer part of the filler neck matches the caps I have tried. It is the inner part of my neck that is larger than the caps I have tried.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tank tube

Outside diameter 2 1/16"

Width where notched 1 85/128" = 1.662"

Inner diameter 90 degrees to notches 1 25/64" = 1.389"

Cap

Outside width of tabs 1 39/64" = 1.609"

Diameter 90 degrees to tabs 1 45/128" = 1.350"

011_zpsaufjujrr.jpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have a NOS cap I think would work for ya. It's Stant part # 10624. Tabs measure 1.799 inner is 1.508. Doesn't look like a stock cap BUT you can have it for free to try if ya want. Just send me a PM with your shipping info.

carstufftosell012.jpg

carstufftosell011.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have given yours a try but someone had a new old stock of the locking cap on that is on mine I ordered that one yesterday. I hate the locking cap and wanted a normal one but it was frustrating the heck out of me and I needed something to stop the gas leaking out the back. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well if ya ever decide ya want the cap, let me know. I'm just gonna stick it back in the box on a shelf. If you head up I-95 for something I'm right off the highway in Delray Beach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts