Firebird Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I traded my Harley for this 68 bird. The bike was sitting and with a wife and 3 kids I figured the car would be a better choice for a weekend warrior.

The car sports a 4sp with a late model v8, originally it was a 6cyl car. Somewhere along the way it had a complete floor/trunk pan replacement done along with a nice s/s exhaust system and a painless wiring kit. That's about all that was good. Lol

First thing to do was get rid of that butt ugly paint job so off to a buddies shop it went along with a new tail panel and rad support. I picked up new door seals and a ton of smalls while it was at the body shop. Poor thing was pretty badly neglected over the years but I had a vision of how I wanted it to end up and its getting close.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Vehicle Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

More to come...

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sweet! Another frst gen making a comeback! Welcome to FBN.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I think you traded UP! As it sits in those pictures, if it runs, I'd be happy to drive it as-is, or course, as it sits, it looks showroom new compared to my 'Bird. :)

...Best of luck in completing your "vision", looking forward to the results.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Welcome to the first gen club Barney If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll tell you it sure has been a learning experience working on this car. Those pics are almost 3 years old now and the car looks pretty different now. I will post some more pics of what's been done to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here she is after paint. I went with a gun metal grey and it turned out great. The rear window in pretty messed up and I tried all kinds off buffing and polishing but couldn't clear it up. Luckily I found a new top with window for sale locally so when the money comes I will have the local shop install it. I've tried to install a top before and don't really care to get into that mess again. Lol

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

And finally back home.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
That's looking great Barney my second car was a 68 convertable I miss that car

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks James. Its been a fun car to work on.

Shortly after I brought it home I noticed a knock in the motor when the rpm's would drop. The engine was a 80's era so I started surfing online for a replacement and I came across a 69 Pontiac 350 that was freshly rebuilt by a guy that in the midst of a divorce. He started asking $4500 for the motor and after a few weeks online I saw his price was dropping fast so I called him and cut a deal for $1500. He had 1 day to empty his garage at his old house so I made the 5hr drive and picked up the new engine. Then the tear down started to pull the old engine and stuff like a new 3 core rad with dual fans from a LS1 came into the picture.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Nice motor! Looks good in the grey you chose too. Has the motor had any upgrades that you are aware of?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
"...I came across a 69 Pontiac 350 that was freshly rebuilt..."

Am I missing something here ? Where are pics of the '69 Pontiac 350. The pics I see are of Chevy engines. ???

There is a world of difference in a Pontiac 350 and a Chevy 350. :yes

I suppose both engines can use the same type of fuel, oil, and carb, but not much else. :no

As far as I know, no sbc engines were available in a 1st gen Bird. If you got a good deal on a Chevy engine and prefer to use it, that's fine. But just calling it a Pontiac engine does not make it one. It's still a Chevy engine--NOT Pontiac. Hey, ya'll know by now that I'm a Pontiac freak. So, don't take offense. Nothing personal intended. Everybody has the freedom to spend their money and build their car any way they wish. :yes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offence taken pony.

The black motor was pulled from a 69 Pontiac and sold to me as a Pontiac engine. I always thought it was a Pontiac but if its a sbc then thats ok with me too. This is my first car that I've really had to get into so I'm learning as I go.

I cleaned up the engine bay and painted it before the engine went in. The motor runs great and has a edelbrock intake and carb. I'm not sure what kind of horse power its putting out but its plenty for me.

The next item I wanted to ditch was the rims and gain I found a good deal online and sold the old rims.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Good lookin car. Dons right, thats deffo a small block chevy. Thats fine though, Im running same thing in mine as thats what was in it when I bought it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a few pics of how the car sits now. I just had the top put on last week, had all the weather seals replaced as well. Poor thing needs a bath.

In the interior I've also replaced the gauge cluster with a auto meter set-up, its a really nice unit and fairly easy to swap out. The floor got a full dyna mat treatment and while the interior was out I noticed a leak from the heater core so that also got replaced.

There is still a bunch of work to do with the dash. The dash pad is badly cracked and all the heat duct's have been removed, except for the wind shield de-frost. I also have to weld up some holes in the dash from the last owner installing a bunch of toggle switches for different things. This stuff will be next winters project.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Good lookin ride.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Looks great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts