Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 firebird with a 400 in it. It will die randomly when usually when hot and idling. It will die unless I press on the gas pedal. After I shut it off the fuel floods the carb. I have a new carb, mechanical fuel pump and have the fuel lines wrapped with heat tape. I read something about the fuel boiling. I am wondering if anyone knows how to fix that problem. Octane booster?

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sounds like the float is sticking on the carb or its out of adjustment. When the bowl in the carb fills up the, the float is supposed to close the needle and seat preventing a "flood" condition. Or another possibility is your fuel pump is putting out more pressure than that needle and seat can handle? Stock type pump? Does it have a return line nipple on the pump? Is the return hooked up?

Another thing, is dont drive it till its fixed! With it flooding like that, all it would take is 1 good backfire and whoosh!! FIRE! Also, the excess fuel is going to contaminate your oil when it seeps past the rings.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
More possibilities :

Could be a "water logged"(fuel saturated) float.

Could also just be a tiny piece of trash under the needle, preventing it from sealing off the seat inlet hole.

Could be a bad rubber tip on the needle, preventing it from properly sealing off the seat inlet. Nowadays, the tips must be ethanol resistant.

I've encountered all 3 problems. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the bad rubber tip on the needle and the sunk float before. If it's a Holley you need a pressure regulator when running the stock mechanical fuel pump. Also be careful of the flooding, if it happens too much you can white wash your cylinders, get gas in your oil, and foul your plugs. Is gas coming out the vent tube when it floods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts