Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else used 2nd Gen rear springs on their first Gen, my lift shackles are all the way down, air shocks empty and I still got 6-8" between top of tire and wheel well arch

I am thinking the 79 ta springs I have on there are too much arch or to long

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
No, I havent used them, but I would for sure be getting some rear spring made for my car. I thought the second gen used different spring pads and spring pearches on the axles. Do you have a 8.2 or 8.5 rear end? I put a second gen rear end (8.5) in my 1st gen FB, and I use one spring pad for a 1st gen and one for a 2nd gen because the spring perch is different and has a V type slot but the springs for my 1st gen use a pad for the first gen with the protruding pin. Eaton sells good springs and sometimes you can get those rear springs slightly cheaper at Year one, then what Eaton is selling for. They also sell the springs with a 2 or 2 in drop and maybe even a 3 inch drop I cant remember how far they go with the drop.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8.2 rear, 2 nd Gen springs, can't remember what Gen spring plates I ended up using

On the 1st Gen shackles what's the center to center on bolt holes

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Mines jacked up like a stink bug too. I bought new "regular duty" multileaf from DR classics and dang did they jack up the car.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Lol...well Im going to have 28 10.50 15s so I need the clearance. They will almost tuck under the fender if I trim half the fender lip off.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Naw, but whats weird is with my car sitting on its wheels, my shackles are cantered back up under the rear cowl, almost like the springs are too long. Where do your shackles ride when sitting on the ground?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently lift shackles are on lowest setting which is 6.5" center to center on bolts

That pic of the tire, tire to center wheel well lip is approx 4.5" tire is bald

With center to center on stock shackles being 3" approx I think that's my main issue

Anyone got pics of the stock shackles up behind that valance panel?
Btw some looking up parts for sale seems to show same part number on multi leaf and shackles 67-81

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Ok I see whats going on with your bird. Your shackles are hitting the rear cowl panel so the springs cannot get longer(shackle pivots rearward) as they get compressed. Bet your bird rides pretty rough in the back. I couldnt even put lift shackles on my as mine are angled back underneath my rear cowl panel.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would rather save these and just make what I need , I have steel so its not the end of the world to drill a few holes, I am thinking I used these cause I could not tuck the springs in the valance

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Yeah you would have to remove the springs and install the rear part first, then install the front spring buckets. Thats how I did mine. Mines stiff in the back but isnt binding or hitting anywhere on the shackle. The DR springs are the cheapest Ive found so far.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Yeah will sit mucho lower and prolly be a lot happier with hit. however, Im betting you will have to drop the front spring perch/pockets to get the springs forward enough to tuck under your valance panel.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Lol I know the feeling!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.