Firebird Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I am looking to find other LS6 Trans Ams and WS6's out there. When I found out I had one, I tried to find some production numbers and have had alot of help on here from various members. Now I am trying to locate actual numbers by color, t-tops, etc to try and validate a final production number for my car. Is there anyone else on here who has a confirmed factory LS6?
Does anyone know of a link that can help others and myself in this search?
Thank you to all who particpate in this post.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I read that what he is talking about is the rumor that at during the late production of I believe it was the 02's that GM ran out of LS1 blocks and for a short time actually started placing LS6 blocks or maybe it was the ls6 heads in the late Trans Ams. That is a rumor I read. Never seen truth to it. Yes, it is true that all 01 and 02's came with the ls6 intake manifold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to scan a document and try to re post - new here so I may not get this right. It is true, There is an unconfirmed number (so far) of 10-15% of 2001 Trans Ams have an LS6 block. They were also put into Camaros :-(. In 2002 it is rumored to be about 25%. This is actual blocks.

·
Oil Changer
970 Posts
He's talkin about that some of the '01 and '02 actually had the LS6 block instead of the LS1 block. He was told the way you tell is that on the block, close to where the EGR valve was on the 98-00 you look for a bullseye like symbol, if it has that you have an LS1 block, if not you have the LS6 block. Eric's don't have the symbol, so if the guy he was talkin to awhile back was right, his has not only the LS6 intake, but the LS6 block also. I thought that was a very interesting and very cool
I checked mine, and no, I'm not one of the lucky ones, I has an LS1 block.....Eric, i'm soooo jealous of your car right now!!! LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing to be jealous over, there are no horsepower gains (that are stated or proven yet).
i am hoping to nail down a more solid number on how many is all I am looking for here.
BTW, Dragonbird really looks good with the new wheels and all, you guys have no need to be jealous.
Later....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot photobucket password - lol. Have the article scanned in, will figure out some way to get it on here soon.
Note - There is also a more solid way to find out for sure. A stamp on the block with the code number: 12561168 siginifies an LS6 block. It is very difficult to locate this as it is on the back deck of the block right above the transmission on the drivers side. a flashlight, mirrors and some patience can locate it but its not easy. The "bullseye" method Alicia mentioned so far is holding true, LS1.com also has the article posted if you are on that site.I have looked at Corvette Z06's and other LS1 blocked cars and so far it seems to be holding true.

·
Firebird Encyclopedia
143 Posts
As stated before it is fact that a certain percentage of `02 Cars did recieve LS6 blocks since the LS1 blocks were unavailable at the time. There is NO performance advantage to having this block, In fact the internals are identical to any other LS1. Calling this an LS6 is not adviseable since the engine does not have the correct LS6 components (heads cam) to be one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Technically you can call it an LS6 since the block is an LS6 block. However, all the important parts are LS1 so the engine is built as an LS1 and not as an LS6.
The article regarding the LS6 blocks being used in certain F-Body cars is attached.

Attachments

Reactions: FBN Firebird Nation

·
Registered
648 Posts
if its only an LS6 block i wouldnt advertise it as an LS6 engine. fellow f-body owners might look at you funny at shows and whatnot

·
Oil Changer
970 Posts
Nothing to be jealous over, there are no horsepower gains (that are stated or proven yet).
i am hoping to nail down a more solid number on how many is all I am looking for here.
BTW, Dragonbird really looks good with the new wheels and all, you guys have no need to be jealous.
Later....
I'm finding this article very interesting
There may not be any HP gains as it comes stock, but I wonder if the LS6 block that's in some of the Camaros/Firebirds would be able to handle more mods than the LS1 block? Or if they both would still accept the same? Oh, and Eric, when you're not lookin, i'm swappin blocks w/ you, lol/jk

·
Firebird Encyclopedia
143 Posts
I'm finding this article very interesting
There may not be any HP gains as it comes stock, but I wonder if the LS6 block that's in some of the Camaros/Firebirds would be able to handle more mods than the LS1 block? Or if they both would still accept the same? Oh, and Eric, when you're not lookin, i'm swappin blocks w/ you, lol/jk
The blocks are virtually identical except for the casting process and the as stated larger bulkhead windows which aid in the bay to bay breathing at high rpm. This is also the reason the LS6 has a different PCV system then the LS1. If I was looking to swap block i would upgrade to the 6.0/6.2 castings to utilize the larger bore.

·
Oil Changer
970 Posts
If I had an SD455 block but not the all important heads would I still be able to call it and SD 455,......................................NOT a chance.

Agreed
Anyone in the know would label you a poser

The blocks are virtually identical except for the casting process and the as stated larger bulkhead windows which aid in the bay to bay breathing at high rpm. This is also the reason the LS6 has a different PCV system then the LS1. If I was looking to swap block i would upgrade to the 6.0/6.2 castings to utilize the larger bore.
Cool
But I don't want to switch blocks w/ Eric, i'm just messin w/ him, lol.

·
F.B.N. Audio Bling Team
6,720 Posts
LS6's basically have a different valvetrain and intake. Its is also said that the block castings vary slightly in that the LS6 water jackets allow for lower cylinder temp. They are rumored to be made from a different, stronger aluminum alloy than the LS1 blocks as well. I cant verify the block differences though. I believe the 2000+ LS1 F body's have the LS6 intake.

Look man, drop a trex cam in there, some yella terra's, some beehives, and a valve job and forget about LS1 and LS6, cuz now you outperform both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, now I kinda wish I had never seen the article or heard about this deal. I also wish GM had followed all the way thru with the LS6 - if they were going to put the block in the cars - why not go all the way? Typical GM I guess.
I do not 'advertise' my car as an LS6 and now I wont even bring it up anymore.
When I was told about this and did some research, I had hoped I had something special to work with, now it seems its just the same old thing with a different number stamped on it.
Well, I still love the car and will continue to enjoy it so....
A non sarcastic Thank you to everyone who added a little input on this and hepled clear up the debate - I do appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone.
I am looking to find other LS6 Trans Ams and WS6's out there. When I found out I had one, I tried to find some production numbers and have had alot of help on here from various members. Now I am trying to locate actual numbers by color, t-tops, etc to try and validate a final production number for my car. Is there anyone else on here who has a confirmed factory LS6?
Does anyone know of a link that can help others and myself in this search?
Thank you to all who particpate in this post.
I have one Sunset Orange for sale.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts