Viabration from center to back at 45mph and up - Resolved Drivetrain Issues - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo

Viabration from center to back at 45mph and up

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

Firebird Tune up Technician

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • First Name:none
  • City:none
  • State or Province:IL
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: Dodge
  • Model: SuperBee
  • Engine: 383 Magnum
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Any opinions because the wife thinks I should get rid of the car :peelout:

The Bird had 70,000 when I picked her up and first thing I noticed is what felt like out of round tires. I replaced them and the vibration was still there. Did not trust the balance shop so I took it to someone else. The guy that balanced them said one of the rims looked a little bent so I bought 4 reconditioned ones from a guy in Indiana that strips them down, trues them up and re-powder coats them, nice for $100 each. Well the vibration was still there, felt like an out of round tire. I thought it might be the driveshaft but with only 70k on it??? I bought a used one piece aluminum DS and before I installed it, might as well replace the ujoints. I thought my 18ton hydrolic press was going to explode, pressing the old glued in ujoints. They finally gave but then I read that I should have heated them up to melt the nylon. I think I might have bent the ears on the DS because the new ujoints look a hair crooked. I installed the alumminum DS and took her for a spin and now the viabration is different, kind of goes away at 80 +. I did replace the front and rear wheel bearings and tie-rod and had it aligned, twice. Even put on a set of cooper tires just to make sure. I don't want to put the two-piece DS back in. I think I'm about 99% sure that its the DS and thinking I should get a new one from JEGGs but the wife says, "What if it still viabrates with the new one". ;) She would say that, and it would be my luck...

Anyone think it could be the rearend or the auto tranny? Cant believe someone could hurt all this stuff with 200hp and an auto. Oh, I did replace the trans mount.

Any suggestions, would hate to get rid of it. Doesn't use oil and gets 30mpg on the highway.
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

Firebird Mechanic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:36 AM

lift the rear end up and put it in gear. check to see if the tires are spinning "true" you might have a bent rear axle if they do not (if they wobble).

#3 Rusty

Rusty

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4249 posts
  • First Name:Rusty
  • City:Allegan
  • State or Province:MI
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Hunting(the outdoors), Biking, Raising Labs, My Formula, Shooting Pool,
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Formula WS6
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6 Spd. w/3.73 posi

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

WOW sounds like you've really done a lot so far, I suggest checking for a bent axle too. Surprised you don't get better MPG, that's pretty good, just heard of guys getting more w/their 3800s. Don't let this be a disappointment though.

Posted Image

Current Mods:
PCM Tune
MAF De-Screen
160* Stat
TB Bypass
K&N Filter
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter
SLP 3-Pt SFCs
Spohn Chrome Moly Torque Arm & Relocation Bracket

Spohn Adjustable STB
Vogtland Coil Springs

J&M Products LCAs & Relocation Brackets

J&M Products Adjustable Panhard Bar
Custom Stainless Steel Front Spoiler
Custom Stainless Steel Door Sill Plates

3:73 gears

#4 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

OK, will put it up on jack and check this out Sat. morning. Looks like new axles are about $220 ea. To think I just had the dam things out last week :doh: . Thanks for the tips, will let ya know what I find.
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#5 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Any one have issues with the two-piece DS, vibration problems? I haven't found any info on how long they last before the center CV and bearing start going bad. Seems like a crappy design, espetialy the glued in u-joints, why in the world would they do that other than to try and make it difficult for the averedge mech and force people to take their car to the dealer. DAM THAT PISSES ME OFF..$ 20 set of u-joints could turn into a $1000 job... :B):

Sorry...

Still have to jack the car up and test it...
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#6 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

lift the rear end up and put it in gear. check to see if the tires are spinning "true" you might have a bent rear axle if they do not (if they wobble).

I checked the rear tires/wheals up on jack stands at idle, 10 mph, everything is strait and true. Ran it up to 45 and 65mph, still good. I did still feel the vibration coming from the tunnel area during all of this. Looks like I'm going to buy a DS from JEGGS. That will be the easiest thing to change for now. Hope they ship fast and I really hope this is the problem. :crossfingers22: Sure wish someone around here had a dyno as this would put a real world load on the drivetrain.
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#7 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

:21FUNNYPOST:
Just got the DS from JEGGS, opened the box, yep, its a DS. Check for any play in the FWD U-Joint, all good, checked the Back and wouldn't ya know, side to side slop, about a 16th to an 8th inch between the ears. For $400 bucks, no frickin way. I would fire the [email protected]*$ing retard ass-lick that put the joints in. http://www.firebirdn...tyle_emoticons/default/furious.gif They are sending another one, will be here friday. Hope like hell someone checks it. Ya, I could have seated the cap and let the clip snap in the rest of the way but these are supposed to be race ready, 500hp rated! RRRRRRRRRR ;)

Edited by scott-leanne, 08 April 2009 - 02:40 PM.

1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#8 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts
  • First Name:Clark
  • City:Sparks
  • State or Province:NV
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Transmission
  • Model: Engine
  • Engine: Engine
  • Transmission: car

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Let us know how it goes.

#9 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Will Do... ;)
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#10 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

The DS came in and it was is in a different box, one from INLAND EMPIRE. First thing I noticed was the thing was spotless! I started to look at the first one I received and it looks like it was installed, grease coming out of the u-joints and tranny fluid on the yoke. HHMMM.... They tried to sell me a DS that was used! Asslicks!
The first pic is the first box I got and then the second and pics of the first DS... Buyer beware. Have not driven the bird yet but all seems very snug. Going from a two piece DS to a one piece the pinion angle is different. This is what I measured...
Rearend angle -3.3
DS angle -2.5
Trans angle -1
So there is about 1.3 deg difference at the back and 1.5 at the front. Hope this is OK.
Oh, the car was only jacked in the back hence the weird angles.
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#11 electrobrandino

electrobrandino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • First Name:Brandon
  • City:Hixson
  • State or Province:TN
  • Year: 2001
  • Model: Formula
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: Auto 3:73

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

"They tried to sell me a DS that was used! Asslicks!"

Dude, that sucks. At least you got it taken care of though!

Let us know if it helped!

#12 Canhos

Canhos

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • City:Chilliwack
  • State or Province:BC
  • Year: 1981
  • Engine: 5.0L

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

Just reading this, and noticed you mentioned you changed the transmission mount. Maybe the problem lies there? a loose bolt or something?

I realise it may be stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.
Mike Gyger
Chilliwack, BC

Formula isn't mine, it's the wife's. She let's me work on it. FOR FREE!

#13 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

Just reading this, and noticed you mentioned you changed the transmission mount. Maybe the problem lies there? a loose bolt or something?

I realise it may be stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.

Thanks, I have to double check my self all the time, getting old. :beer:
Yes, I did check the mount, all tight...
I did take the Bird for a quick spin, not on the Highway yet and it sure feels 1000% better. I'm going to road test it this afternoon. I hope to god it drives smooth :Various_Artists-blowup: .
Will post results.
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#14 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

:Various_Artists-blowup: Drove it... 35,45,55,65,70...All smooth. I had a gut feeling when I got the car that the 2 piece drive shaft was causing the problem. Should have listened to my gut. Thanks all for your inputs and troubleshooting help. Now I have a new set of BF goodrich TA's and a set of rims... Dam-it man... Oh well, still cheaper than bringing it in for all I did to this.
Again, Thanks
:beer:
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#15 electrobrandino

electrobrandino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • First Name:Brandon
  • City:Hixson
  • State or Province:TN
  • Year: 2001
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: Auto 3:73

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

good to hear man! GL with the car!

#16 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

I have a question about how much side play there should be on the axles. I noticed with the rear brake assy removed, before I took the cover off to changed the bearings, I could move the axles in and out about an 8th inch. Does anyone know if this is normal? If it not, should I go to a salvage yard and try and get one with less play?
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#17 rusnrno

rusnrno

Old and Slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4131 posts
  • First Name:Russ
  • City:Reno, Nevada
  • Interests:*Edit- Free, single and loving it! My two grown children and my Grandson and Granddaughter. My Firebird, Snow skiing, MMA fighting, woodworking, home and auto electronics, camping, rafting, work, and sleep.
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: M6

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

I have a question about how much side play there should be on the axles. I noticed with the rear brake assy removed, before I took the cover off to changed the bearings, I could move the axles in and out about an 8th inch. Does anyone know if this is normal? If it not, should I go to a salvage yard and try and get one with less play?

That is normal. There is a C clip that holds your axle. It allows a little bit of side to side movement.

Relax, and I'm, glad you solved your problem.
Posted Image
RIP Jay
I miss you already Bro'.
RIP-Brother Rat
1996 Formula
LT1, M6,Eaton Posi, Moser Axles, 4.10 Gears
CC305 Cam, Crane 10308-1 Valve Springs, Crane 11746 NSA 1.6 Full Roller Rockers, Trik Flow pushrods, LT4 timing set, Accel injectors, OBD1 conversion, CATS tuning software,
ARP head bolts and rocker studs,
no AC, no AIR, PCM tuned by ME, Pacesetter LT headers, no cats, SLP fan switch, UMI Lower Control Arms, UMI Panhard Bar, UMI LCA Relocation Brackets, UMI Tunnel mount Torque Arm, Edelbrock Strut tower bar, Billet valve covers, Drop Zone 1.8" lowering springs, LT4 Knock module, MSD6AL Ignition, Taylor Wires, B&M Shifter, Hypertech 160 T-stat, Power Slot brake rotors, Ram Air hood(functional), TA front bumper, Home-built "Stealth" sub enclosures, Torque Thrust II wheels with 275/40/17s, Toyo Proxes Drag Radials

#18 FBN Firebird Nation

FBN Firebird Nation

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and Formula Fan

• Administrator
  • 36186 posts
  • First Name:Clark
  • City:Sparks
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Transmission
  • Model: Engine
  • Engine: Engine
  • Transmission: car

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the update Scott, I will move this to the issues resolved forum.

#19 Scotts 98

Scotts 98

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

:rockon22:

WOW, back when I took my wheels off to get a set of coopers mounted and balanced, I brought two at a time in the back of my van to Walmart just a block away. They have always done a decent job at this so I didn't think twice. When I got home with the first set, I noticed the guy scraped the hell out of my rims with the tire machine. I just got these for $100 ea from a company in Indiana that reconditions and powder-coats them. They were beautiful. I went back with the next set and let the guy know that he needs to raise the arm up a little so it doesn't happen again. He did not look too pleased. :snooty: . When I got home with the second set, I noticed there was only one weight on the out-side of each rim???? The first set had weight on both sides. HHMMM. Tires have the same date code and the rims are trued. HHMMM. Well after fighting all the vibration problems I thought I was done. Driving the car at 65mph was cool but 70+ there was some intermittent vibration from the front. Damit man! Decide to take the two suspect wheels to a different place to have them checked and wouldn't ya know, they needed some weights on the inside. So now I'm thinkin I need to go have a talk with the manager about this ASS. I NEED TO GET MY OWN TIRE MACHINE AND WHEEL BALANCER so I don't have to depend on the hayseeds MF's that live around here. Pardon my language but that kind off shit really pisses me off. This guy needs his face beat in with a baseball bat! http://www.firebirdn...tyle_emoticons/default/argh3.gif
Sorry for the rant.... I feel better now... :beer:
Scott
1968 Dodge SuperBee
383 Magnum
Auto

#20 RobC

RobC

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • First Name:Rob
  • City:Cape Town South Africa
  • State or Province:Other
  • Interests:Offshore powerboat racing/adventure motor cycling/fishing.
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 454
  • Transmission: 4l 80E with shift kit

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

LOL. I have tyre shop and any decent fitment shop should have plastic rim protectors that clip onto the tyre fit machine.They are really cheap(even here :South Africa) so take him to task.Its not acceptable.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users