Preemptive strike to keep door plastic from cracking! - Interior - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Preemptive strike to keep door plastic from cracking!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cedonulli

Cedonulli

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • First Name:marv
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:OR
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird convertible
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

All my birds have the darned cracks on the plastic by the window. Saw a video on how to repair and it works! Got one fixed so well you cant tell. 

Started thinking about GMs stupid design and how the staples cause this, and thought about ways to keep it from happening. I took a couple panels from my bird parts collection. Been going around the state buying doors, hoods, fenders, bumpers, you name it. So much that  I bought a 28 foot dry van to keep it in. Im becoming a firebird parts house. Anyway, took an old cracked one and carved off a piece in front of its crack, since I needed something plastic but curved, and of course the piece fit right inside after a side trim.  Took two 8 inch sections and hot glued them up inside the good panel and also ran a strip of hot glue over the area where the staples are.  STIFF. I tried to bend it to crack it and it held up.  Dont think mine will ever crack now. Anyone here done something similar? Better?

Currently: 95 Convert 3.6, 96 Hard top 3.8 , 97 T Top 3.8 , 2001 3.8 Convert (red), 2002 3.8 convert (maroon)

Past IDIOT seller of a 1969 transam in 1973 for $2500.

#2 GaryDoug

GaryDoug

Ramblin' Wreck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5049 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Tarpon Springs, Gulf Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted A week ago

I saw some very slight evidence of that in my 98 TA. I removed some staples several years ago. No problems yet.

gallery_14511_2130_2884.jpg
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock - one owner - driven daily - Scan9495 author

#3 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

There's some evidence to suggest the is a Firebird issue, but not a Camaro issue.  And the problem supposedly results from a change in design part way through the 1998 model year.  Never a problem on my 94.

I can't wait until he discovers the “bubbling sail (roof) panel” problem.  Another problem unique to the later years of the 4th Gen.  But he'll be OK as long as he sticks to convertibles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users