Rattling, washboarding, FOUND PROBLEM need shock advice - Suspension - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Rattling, washboarding, FOUND PROBLEM need shock advice

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cedonulli

Cedonulli

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • First Name:marv
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:OR
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird convertible
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

Ive started a few threads about my 2002 convert slapping all over the road when hitting bumps, tires cupping , etc.  This was after I had taken it to the pacific NWs largest tire chain--initials L.S., who had done an inspection and said nothing wrong at all. Got a lot to think about from some of you here, and was just about to start replacing bearing assemblys, control arms, etc etc to try and tame it.Even swapped the tires and wheels with another of my birds.  OK Im embarrased to admit this next part---remember I relied on the super tire chain who said shocks even looked almost new---yesterday I opened the trunk for only the second time and when I shut it, the car bounced up and down like a yo-yo. AHA! SHOCKS!  Took it to Firestone and was told the shocks were almost zero working. They thought it odd. No leaks, etc.  Also funny is the fronts dont seem to be bad but most of the problems were when hitting bumps with the fronts, and having the symtoms before the rears hit. They said since the rear was so unstable, when the shock to the body first started at the front wheels, it had a wave effect like taking a half full bottle of water  on its side and flipping the ends up and down. They were 'shocked' pun intended over the other large place telling me the shocks were good.

That, I hope, saves me from spending a l;ot of clams on sway bar, frame connector, on and on when I wasnt ready to.

All that said, Im looking at Bilstein B6 shocks at around 100 each. Monotube 36mm.  ANyone have a better idea at no more than that price range?

Currently: 95 Convert 3.6, 96 Hard top 3.8 , 97 T Top 3.8 , 2001 3.8 Convert (red), 2002 3.8 convert (maroon)

Past IDIOT seller of a 1969 transam in 1973 for $2500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users