Incredible Hulk installed my oil filter with a nuclear-powered wrench - General Engine (Non-Gen Specific) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Incredible Hulk installed my oil filter with a nuclear-powered wrench

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • First Name:David
  • City:Crystal River
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:Family and F bodies.
  • Year: 1989
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 305 L03
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted A week ago

The title is not too far from the truth. My bird is an 89 formulal, I get underneath it to perform its first oil change since the oil was relatively fresh when I purchased it about 2 months ago, basically just been going through all the maintenance and smoothing out the rough spots that I've found just making basic improvements. Now back to the oil change. I go to take the filter off and of course the last individual that installed it must have used a wrench to tighten it down and no lubrication on the gasket. Needless to say I got a hold of it with my old school strap wrench and you know these filters are recessed in between the exhaust system and the transmission shroud so you can't really get a good grip and you can't get any leverage unless you had a cap style wrench that you would put a socket in. So I try to start removing it with what I had and you guessed it the filter starts to crush. Well I stopped before I broke the filter and went down to my local auto parts store and purchased what was supposed to be the best wrench they had, it was some kind of a ratcheting deal kind of like one of those old-school Craftsman Robo grip style pliers, so I purchase it and I'm on my way back to complete the job. Well I get a hold of the filter with this robogrip style filter wrench and I grasped it with everything that I had the filter still would not turn so then I get another hold of the filter and I grabbed it even Tighter and lo and behold the wrench breaks into pieces in my hand. Needless to say at this point I was a little bit more than frustrated and now daylight is starting to fade away. I got so aggravated I squared myself up right underneath that filter and I grabbed a hold of it with my dominant hand and backed it up with my other hand and then I just started using bursts of retard strength and slowly got the filter to turn by hand couldn't believe it, I was so pissed I wasn't going to let that filter beat me 😄. Well it took at least six good tries because I had to rest my hand in between, I put so much torque on it I could feel the bones in the palm of my hand aching, but I got that sob off so all's well that ends well. On a plus side since this is the first time I was really under the car I got to survey everything really well and noticed that a lot of the front end has new parts and polyurethane bushings to boot.I knew the car handled extremely well now I can see why so that's a big plus so the previous owner took excellent care of this vehicle. And as long as I was under there I wiped down the everything and cleaned all the zerks and then Lubed the chassis. So now my bird is good to go for a little while longer, nice and fresh. This was kind of a stupid thing that happened so I just figured I'd share the story. Now tomorrow I have to go back to the auto parts store with the tool in pieces, that'll be a head-scratcher. The kicker is that I had an old school wrench in my hand you know like a regular mechanics pliers wrench and I went with one that cost about $5 more because it was supposed to be better and it failed. Someone in China must have been having a good laugh at my expense tonight 😁. I think when I go back to exchange the defective tool I'm going to get the old school pliers and a cap style filter wrench just in case. But since I performed my first oil change on this particular vehicle I should be good to in the future, gasket Lube and hand tight. Good grief 🙈.

#2 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

I've run into this before and it ain't fun.    some ppl say jam a screwdriver thru it but don't try it.    the filter will just tear as my buddy found out.    I've run into oil pan drain bolts that were so tight I had to break out the 30 inch rachet to break them loose.  

Edited by JOE68, A week ago.

#3 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • First Name:David
  • City:Crystal River
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:Family and F bodies.
  • Year: 1989
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 305 L03
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted A week ago

Yep the old screwdriver through the oil filter disaster... when I was 17 and had my first Firebird someone told me to do the same thing and it cost me a tow truck ride to the repair shop. We stay away from that method nowadays. From the sounds of it it appears the Incredible Hulk caught a hold of your car also 😉.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users