1993 Firebird headlight won't stay closed - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1993 Firebird headlight won't stay closed

headlight firebird 1993 wont stay closed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Second Draft

Second Draft

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Rylin
  • City:Presque Isle
  • State or Province:ME
  • Year: 1993
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula V8
  • Engine: 350 HP 5.0 Liter
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have had my 93 Firebird for a little over a year. I absolutely love it. My mom had an 85 Trans Am when I was little and that most definitely had an influence on me getting my Formula V8.

Anyway, I'm having this issue. It started after I took her to a local mechanic. See, I did that awesome thing where I took my car through an undercarriage car wash and trust me I paid for that. She's running fine now but the headlight does this really strange thing.

See, when the lights are off, the left headlight will close as normal, the right headlight will close too, but then open back up and stay open. Then, when I turn the headlights on, the left headlight will open as normal, but the right one will close as the left one opens, and then open back up.

So far, I haven't done anything to try and fix it, since I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing. 

I absolutely love my car but the headlight staying open like that really kills the cool factor of the car. Really embarrassing. I can get photos or even a video of it if needed.

I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you. <3

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:56 PM

Many headlight problems are related to headlight motor gear problems.  Others can be the result of the “stop tabs” being broken off.  This link will take you to a detailed list of headlight problems and fixes.  Probably the best document on the Internet on the topic.  Scroll down to problem 6) to see if it relates to what you are experiencing.

http://www.bfranker....ghtgearfailures

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 Second Draft

Second Draft

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Rylin
  • City:Presque Isle
  • State or Province:ME
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Firebird Formula V8
  • Engine: 350 HP 5.0 Liter
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it! It's too dark to go look now, so I'll go take a peek at it tomorrow to see if I can spot these... stops and arms the page is talking about. 

#4 GaryDoug

GaryDoug

Ramblin' Wreck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5049 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Tarpon Springs, Gulf Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 4 weeks ago

It sounds to me like the metal stop is broken off or bent. You can make another out of a piece of steel or have the old one welded back on (if found). Compare with the left side.

• tom99 likes this

gallery_14511_2130_2884.jpg
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock - one owner - driven daily - Scan9495 author

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlight, firebird, 1993, wont, stay, closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users