ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to firebirdnation.com - Site Issues, Bugs and Concerns - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to firebirdnation.com

18 replies to this topic

#1 Administrator

Administrator

Pontiac Firebird

• Administrator
  • 280 posts
  • First Name:Admin
  • City:Toronto
  • State or Province:ON
  • Interests:Cars
  • Year: 2000
  • Make: Will
  • Model: Fill
  • Engine: In
  • Transmission: Later

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:13 AM

post-101694-0-40144800-1620685149.jpg

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

#2 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4243 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:24 AM

Sorry but this is truly funny. We've begged you to update our site and were promised it numerous times over the last 7-10 years.

Before you delete or change ANY of our site or data, please contact me so we can decide on the best way to handle things. I was active in the last site update, testing prior to go live. I'd like to do the same thing this time.

I'd also like to discuss the features that you will be adding and what will be taken away. This is important to our site and more so to our members.

We have a car club that has pages that have always been maintained with this site. Is this something you will continue to do or do we need to find another avenue for it and just have links on the site for it? If you will continue to host it, we need to have better access to update the information.

Layna

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#3 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:40 AM

Sorry but this is truly funny. We've begged you to update our site and were promised it numerous times over the last 7-10 years.

Before you delete or change ANY of our site or data, please contact me so we can decide on the best way to handle things. I was active in the last site update, testing prior to go live. I'd like to do the same thing this time.

I'd also like to discuss the features that you will be adding and what will be taken away. This is important to our site and more so to our members.

We have a car club that has pages that have always been maintained with this site. Is this something you will continue to do or do we need to find another avenue for it and just have links on the site for it? If you will continue to host it, we need to have better access to update the information.

Layna

AMEN ! ! !

#4 Administrator

Administrator

Pontiac Firebird

• Administrator
  • 280 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

nextstep.jpg

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created both here in this section and in the community support section.

• You will then see me reply to those threads introducing myself.
  • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
  • I will go through all of our admin/moderator accounts and add permanent premium status.

We will have a dedicated link for moderating tutorials BUT I will be right here with you, every step of the way, teaching you not just how the site works but how to moderate it. Admin access to the admin panel will be different and will have some limitations due to changes in member privacy, and is only available to admins. I will help you with how to access it. Most moderator functions will now be available right in the forum.

What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.

When Will This All Happen?

firebirdnation.com is currently scheduled for June 17, 2021. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, during the transition, we will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with us while we work through the changes. :)

- Cricket

#5 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2330 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well, MODERNCAMARO.COM looks a little more modern than this old Web 1.0 site we've been sitting on, that's a positive. Seems a little more mobile friendly as well. ...that's always good.

I would like to see "new content" as our homepage. ...and a promise our database is backed up beforehand.

Our shoutbox confuses all new users. Setting a permission on it so that it is not visible for non-members and a new members first few posts would go a long way in training their eyes to the search-box.

The big question, what will we loose this time?

I'm sorry to doubt you, but your teams failure to maintain our sites functionality after updates is a fact chiseled in stone. We have heard "fixed in the next update" for over a decade and we always lose more functionality every time. Pages have broken in the past and your teams inability to fix the scripts and/or your lack of Give A Fuck does not allow for paintings a picture of sunshine and flowers for us this time around. ...once bitten twice shy and all that.

An even bigger question, What are your plans for restoring the sections of our site you have failed us on in the past, such as our Classifieds? Any hope of getting that functionality back?

I'm going to keep an open mind and a positive attitude. Don't ruin it this time, OK? Vertical Scope has a chance to make right all transgressions of the past and it begins with not breaking a single thing this time around. NOT A SINGLE THING!

SOMETHING MAJOR THAT NEEDS ADDRESSED IS CARID.COM They are not a good sponsor and are a huge embarrassment to be associated with. Look to their Yelp reviews for insight, then please kick them to the curb or at least remove them from our site specifically. We are a Firebird specific website with a reputation to uphold. Several small contributions from firebird specific parts sites would be the best option. Hell, JC Whitney (now carparts.com) would be miles above CARiD at this point.

Best of luck with the migration. Keeping positive thoughts here. Don't let us down. ...again.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#6 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well, MODERNCAMARO.COM looks a little more modern than this old Web 1.0 site we've been sitting on, that's a positive. Seems a little more mobile friendly as well. ...that's always good.

I would like to see "new content" as our homepage. ...and a promise our database is backed up beforehand.

Our shoutbox confuses all new users. Setting a permission on it so that it is not visible for non-members and a new members first few posts would go a long way in training their eyes to the search-box.

The big question, what will we loose this time?

I'm sorry to doubt you, but your teams failure to maintain our sites functionality after updates is a fact chiseled in stone. We have heard "fixed in the next update" for over a decade and we always lose more functionality every time. Pages have broken in the past and your teams inability to fix the scripts and/or your lack of Give A Fuck does not allow for paintings a picture of sunshine and flowers for us this time around. ...once bitten twice shy and all that.

An even bigger question, What are your plans for restoring the sections of our site you have failed us on in the past, such as our Classifieds? Any hope of getting that functionality back?

I'm going to keep an open mind and a positive attitude. Don't ruin it this time, OK? Vertical Scope has a chance to make right all transgressions of the past and it begins with not breaking a single thing this time around. NOT A SINGLE THING!

SOMETHING MAJOR THAT NEEDS ADDRESSED IS CARID.COM They are not a good sponsor and are a huge embarrassment to be associated with. Look to their Yelp reviews for insight, then please kick them to the curb or at least remove them from our site specifically. We are a Firebird specific website with a reputation to uphold. Several small contributions from firebird specific parts sites would be the best option. Hell, JC Whitney (now carparts.com) would be miles above CARiD at this point.

Best of luck with the migration. Keeping positive thoughts here. Don't let us down. ...again.

DOUBLE  -  AMEN !  AMEN !

#7 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 4 weeks ago

CARID?    AHAHAHA   On the opening page of the modern Camaro forum the mysterious ADMIN linked there's 15 CARID threads/advertisements and 10 normal type ones. I don't see this ending well..........

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#8 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4243 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I want to be part of the testing of the conversion of our site. This saved us numerous issues with the last 2 updates. I'll be happy to participate in a video meeting anytime. I want this to be a smooth transition for our site members with the least amount of site content lost.

Personally I'd prefer our landing page be the actual forums. Way less confusing for everyone.

------If there are forum sections in your community that require special permissions to access or a minimum number of posts, please let me know.

We have several sections that require special permissions and minimum posts. 

You mentioned a different support structure. What does that entail and what are the rates for what benefits? Currently, our supporting members pay some of the highest rates of the sites you own. Those rates were justified when we were privately owned with no advertising support. When you purchased the site, you never adjusted our supporting rates.

You never answered my question about the Firebird Nation Car Club pages. 

What about features we have lost or that aren't working correctly? Classifieds, Track Slips, Chat room.... What about the site personality? Will we retain some of that or lose it also?

Will you and the advertisers support give aways or prizes for car of the month or car of the quarter?

Need more details please!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Layna, you can probably expect the same personality of their other car forums. It's a generic format they use. Even the landing pages all look the same but with different car pics in the header.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#10 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1977
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 4 weeks ago

Maybe Im the only one but Im confused. I take it this site isnt privately operated like others? I just assumed it was created by one who flew the coup leaving only secondary admins with limited control to remain. Anyone able to explain?

#11 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

Site was purchased from the original founder by a group (Vertical Scope) that apparently specializes in taking over sites like this for the advertising revenue.  Not uncommon,… I'm the Administrator of CamaroZ28.com, and it was purchased from the original owners by Internet Brands.  Fortunately they are responsive to the site needs.

Unfortunately, Internet Brands also accept advertising from CarID.  Total bunch of scammers.  There are located a few towns over from me…. basically a bunch of ill-informed order takers who pass the orders on to manufacturers and importers who drop ship the product to the buyers. Then they refuse to respond to consumer complaints about defects, incorrect, damaged in shipping, etc. orders.  Apparently NEVER give refunds.  I get to see all the Yelp complaints about CarID because they are local.  I encourage the scammed buyers to file complaints with the New Jersey Attorney General's office, Division of Consumer Affairs, by providing them with a link to the online complaint form.

#12 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1977
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 4 weeks ago

Wow didnt know that. Didnt even know about CARID being like that. I think theyre who I used to use to buy weather tray floor mats. Thanks for the info. Ill stay away from them in the future.

#13 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4243 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

well not off to a good start, rofl

MC.JPG

#14 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2330 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 4 weeks ago

I get to see all the Yelp complaints about CarID because they are local.  I encourage the scammed buyers to file complaints with the New Jersey Attorney General's office, Division of Consumer Affairs, by providing them with a link to the online complaint form.

Direct them to the BBB as well.  As of now CarID/Parent company have an A+ rating.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#15 EliteKane

EliteKane

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • First Name:steven
  • City:Dennisport
  • State or Province:MA
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Firebird Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 LT1
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

What CMS is the site being changed to? Or whats being added? I work in cyber security and have done web development for years.

Edited by EliteKane, 3 weeks ago.

#16 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14126 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

https://www.yelp.com...rt_by=date_desc

#17 Administrator

Administrator

Pontiac Firebird

• Administrator
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 hours ago

Community Announcement: New Forum Software Going Live Soon!

Dear Members,

Your new site will be going live soon! We are almost at the starting line and are really excited for you to experience the new community platform.

When the migration starts shortly, the site will be put into maintenance read-only mode (late tonight or early tomorrow morning) while the migration is underway until completion. We will post when the process is complete and the site is live.  We look forward to your feedback and first impressions in the “Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!” thread.

You will have dedicated support to help you transition to the new format.

I will be here to answer your questions and help you every step of the way.

- Cricket

Special Note: To avoid any confusion, I will be closing this thread now. All new comments will be posted to the “Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!” thread once the migration to the new software is complete.

#18 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 hours ago

So this thread is closed? Looks open to me, let's see if this posts..........

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#19 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4243 posts

Posted 11 hours ago

topic was locked. Someone unlocked it.

Admin - if you bother to read this, I WANT A MEETING PRIOR TO UPDATING THE SOFTWARE.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users