Upgraded my semi defective factory cassette stereo system - Automotive Audio Product Reviews - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded my semi defective factory cassette stereo system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • First Name:David
  • City:Crystal River
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:Family and F bodies.
  • Year: 1989
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 305 L03
  • Transmission: 700R4

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:30 PM

Well I had been trying to troubleshoot my original stereo system and ended up replacing everything. The factory system had bad speakers, one in the rear was dead and the other side only had 50% power plus some static. So I decided to order 4 new Pioneer speakers from Cruchfield  since they offered factory direct fit connectors, I did not want to cut into the harness. I started there that solved some of the issues but I was still having less power to the left side and the static remained, now I had to look into replacing the head unit. Once again I didn't want to hack up the factory wiring harness so I searched high and lo. I could have gotten one of those retro sound units in the correct 1.5 DIN size but they did not offer a CD player and IMO are way over priced so I considered a 1 DIN unit with direct fit connectors but decided it would look like it did not belong and would be IMO overly complex. After many hours of searching I found a Delco Pontiac 1.5 Din CD unit Fully refurbished with Bluetooth added that was from 1995 - 2003. luckily my Bird came with the newer 20 (or 21) pin harness so this was a direct plug and play installation, their was lots of back and forth to confirm this before the purchase. Now not only does the system function 100% but it is a big big upgrade over the original equipment. First the old unit (yes I saved it for future refurbishment) The second the new CD unit with upgraded bluetooth.  Gotta have tunes, life is good!  Attached File  1989 pontiac firebird radio.jpg   224.69KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Radio close up.jpg   269.11KB   0 downloads

#2 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1977
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:02 PM

Thats pretty awesome!

#3 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:18 PM

Thats pretty awesome!

Thanks  :) . I really wanted to do it right, took several late nights up until the wee hours online searching and figuring out what would work and be as correct as possible . I know there was a factory CD unit that was available in 89 but they are rare like hens teeth and if you can find one very very expensive, like $500 ish. I paid $212.00 shipped for this head unit. Best of all it's an original Delco Pontiac radio and all of the back lighting matches the dash. I'm extremely happy with the result.   

Edited by David, 04 May 2021 - 06:20 PM.

#4 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Firebird Coupe
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:45 AM

All right David! Did you get the head unit from a private party or a business? If a business, please share the name so others can benefit from your long internet searches. I have spent hours looking for something and then come across the perfect link. Thanks, Pete :)

#5 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:20 AM

All right David! Did you get the head unit from a private party or a business? If a business, please share the name so others can benefit from your long internet searches. I have spent hours looking for something and then come across the perfect link. Thanks, Pete :)

Thank you Pete, it's appreciated and I will absolutely share the information should have done that earlier. Actually ended up doing a Google Search and found this individual on eBay apparently he refurbishes and rebuild all kinds of OEM radios especially Delco radios his username is heydaze81. He can quite possibly rebuild your OEM radio if you choose to do it
I was going to have him rebuild mine but it turns out my original head unit is very rare and he didn't have any parts available for it so I'm holding on to it for future refurbishment. I'm very glad I went the route that I did some people say this is still an Antiquated system a lot of people just do 100% Bluetooth without even a CD unit in the deck but in my opinion you have to have a CD player I guess I'm just old-fashioned I would have been happy with the cassette deck but since it was having issues I decided to upgrade so glad I did it's a fantastic upgrade, not only is it an upgrade but its original Delco Pontiac and it looks like it belongs in fact it does belong. Thanks again for the kind words hope this helps.

#6 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Firebird Coupe
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

Thanks David, my digital readout on my radio is blank. The radio works but no numbers to look at. I miss the clock. Not sure about the CD player but one of these days I'll try it. Talking about old timers, my Dad taught me to work on and fix car radios back in the early 70"s. Started me out servicing 8 Track players. Then, about "77 or '78 we both learned how to fix cassette players. I haven't even seen the inside of a CD player. Lol Thanks for his username! Pete :)

#7 David

David

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

Sounds like real good times Pete Good times indeed. My dad's been gone over two and a half years now he was 90 when he passed taught me a lot taught me how to work taught me how to use finesse. He really made me the worker and the Craftsman that I was or am. The good old days. Sounds like you have a backlighting issue. I'd be willing to bet you 10 bucks you just need another bulb or two in the back of that read out. There are places online that if you pull the unit they will replace every bulb in there for you in the correct Pontiac color. If I'm not mistaken you may be able to get it done shipping not included for around $45.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users