97 firebird 3.8 mass air flow sensor question - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

97 firebird 3.8 mass air flow sensor question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jbrookman84

Jbrookman84

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • First Name:Jeremy
  • City:Flint
  • State or Province:MI
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.8 series 2
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

I have a 97 firebird 3.8 and I need to but a maf sensor I bought 3 so far all different part numbers listed for this car I think theres 4-7 different parts in total listed. What I need to know cause the three I already purchased were the wrong ones does anyone have the correct part number. The one that was originally in the car has these letters and numbers on the top of it AFH50M-04 & c7115. I can't manage to find a part with those exact numbers on it and I'm tired of throwing money away please help thanks in advance.

#2 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Firebird Coupe
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted A week ago

Jeremy, Welcome to FBN! How do you know the MAF Sensor is bad? Did you look up the original part number and cross reference it to the new parts? You probably won't get a new part with those same numbers. Each manufacturer puts their own numbers on the part. Pete :)

#3 Jbrookman84

Jbrookman84

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the warm welcoming originally I started out with the a engine code can't remember what exact one it was to be honest. I bought the replacement took care of the code but the sensor is designed different the new one looks to have a big resistor one one side and a very little one on the other side. The one that was originally in there both were tiny. The odd thing is the code is gone but it resembles a bad maf sensor on startup and idle. You go to start it and it shuts right down than restart it blows a quick puff of smoke like it flooded than it's fine but it does idle up and down some. I get no other codes I rebuilt the motor last year and replaced just about every thing on the outside well I was at it. I've checked all the vacum lines no leaks present connected to a scanner looking at the live data everything seems to be in range the maf looks like it's reading is off a little. That's why I've learned towards that being the problem but I could be wrong.
Sorry about the typos trying to respond from a cell phone isn't the easiest so it seems.

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14077 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

The part # you posted appears to be an aftermarket piece, not OEM.  Always a chance this is a cheap Chinese copy of the original.  What quality sensors have you been buying?  OEM part is very expensive, cheap Chinese stuff is a lot cheaper, but quality and accuracy of Chinese repro parts are suspect.

The GM part (AC Delco) # appears to be 213-4338.  Price is ~$160.  YOU NEED TO VERIFY THAT PART NUMBER.

Keep in mind that over the years, even the vehicle manufacturer's part # and part design will change, with superseded reference numbers and appearance.

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#5 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 2002
  • Model: Firebird Coupe
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted A week ago

Jeremy, I found through GM Parts, your OEM P/N 19112538, replaced P/N 88961009. Rockauto shows that crosses to AC Delco P/N 2133423. Like Injuneer said, Some of the aftermarket parts are not of very good quality. I try to put the GM or AC Delco parts on my car. The old saying "you get what you pay for" has been so true in my experience. Try a quality MAF sensor and check the live data readings again. I would also clean my spark plugs. You might have fouled them. Pete :)

#6 Jbrookman84

Jbrookman84

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it I ended up ordering the GM Genuine oem AC Delco MAF sensor earlier for a $160 once it comes I'll install and read the live data and post the results. In the meantime I'll pick up some oem plugs. I still need to open up my steering column as well my stalk for the turn signal has two much play and severs the connection for the left tail light took me forever to figure that one out started at the end of last summer. I should have fixed it well it was stored over the winter but I procrastinated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users