Cant find wobble and washboarding w convertibles - Drivetrain - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Cant find wobble and washboarding w convertibles

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cedonulli

Cedonulli

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • First Name:marv
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:OR
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird convertible
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

2002 3.8 convertible.

I have a 2002 and a 1995. They both shake, washboard and generally have things like the mirrors shake and bounce a bit when hitting little bumps, grooves etc. Going around a corner roughly makes it shake like the floor pan is made of flexible plastic.  I was told the converts floor if heavier duty to make up for the lack of top strength, and it should flex around, but TWO of them do it to me, and my other two---a t top and a hard top---don't.

The 2002 has 101,000 miles, with almost new tires and aftermarket shocks, and new brake pads. Had the tire shop check for balanced tires--all good. Shocks and front end components seemed tight. Tires though, with few miles on them, are 'cupping' on the front.  They said maybe a bad shock or spring or both even though they are fairly new. Also said it could be toe in and general alignment. As I hit between 50 and 55 it acts just like a bubbled tire or seriously out of balance but neither is true. They couldn't figure that out. I didn't want to have aligned because Im considering that maybe the original springs and/or newer shock/s are bad and want to replace them with better aftermarkets, then have it aligned.  Am I chasing a convertible problem?  Will it still rattle and bounce after I install that stuff? Are converts really as solid as a hard top?

And, why were we all born just to suffer and die?

Currently: 95 Convert 96 Hard top 97 T Top 2002 Convert IDIOT seller in 1974 of a real 69 transam IDIOT seller in 1972 of a special order 1969 Z-28 IDIOT seller in 1976 of a replica 1969 TA (See avatar)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users