1986 Firebird: Help Needed How to Access Temperature Gauge - Electrical - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1986 Firebird: Help Needed How to Access Temperature Gauge

Third gen Firebird 1986 Temperature guage Guages Speedometer V6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Homelander

Homelander

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Jacob
  • City:Orlando
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1986
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 2.8 liter V6
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 2 weeks ago

Recently the temperature guage needle in my '86 firebird fell out. I want to reattach it but can't find any screws to remove the glass covering the guages. I've searched and can't find tutorials anywhere. Does anyone know how to remove it? Thanks.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3193 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

First thig you need to do is to go to 3rd gen tech section. Hit the masterlist at top of threads. New page will open. Download the 88 GM service manual. It is actually the firebird manual. Go to section 8C, It has all the info that you need.

Basically the lower dash trim panels and cluster trim panel have to be removed. Then you will see the 6 screws that hold cluster to dash. Once the 6 screws are removed, the clear panel over the instruments can be removed.

However, your job will be easier if you remove entire cluster and work on a shop bench or table. To remove cluster from dash electrical connectors must be removed. I don't know if 87 has an electronic or a regular cable driven speedometer. So if cable driven, cable must be removed.

#3 Homelander

Homelander

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Jacob
  • City:Orlando
  • Year: 1986
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 2.8 liter V6
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted A week ago

Awesome, thank you very much for the info!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Third gen, Firebird, 1986, Temperature guage, Guages, Speedometer, V6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users