COLD AIR INTAKE - All Things V6 - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

COLD AIR INTAKE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 giveherthebird

giveherthebird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • First Name:Ryan
  • City:somerset
  • State or Province:MA
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: v6
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

So i have been thinking of doing a custum intake. i have the 3.8, just so you know. ive looked at the stuff on sale and i dont really want a intake thats under my car, i feel like it will suck up water. so what i want to do is make a ramp kind of thing coming from the nostrils too the intake. any thoughts would be great.

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14021 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

A properly installed CAI in the driver side inner fender will not suck in water.  Every successful CAI for the 93-97 cars is designed that way.  I ran one for several years with no problems.

If you want to pull air from under the front bumper,consider adapting the air box from the 98-02 LS1 V8 cars.  The box sits in front of the throttle body on the radiator support, and pulls air out of the bottom.  There is a “free mod” that opens up the slot on the bottom of the box and a duct system made by Fast Toys in Canada that sticks down toward the road.

The only complication with the LS1 box would probably be the fact the V6 throttle body has that weird angle.

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 giveherthebird

giveherthebird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • First Name:Ryan
  • City:somerset
  • State or Province:MA
  • Year: 1998
  • Engine: v6
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

OK THANK YOU

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 14021 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

To use the LS1 V8 airbox, you will need to check to see if there are any differences in the V6 hood or radiator support.  Then there is the aforementioned issue of the V6 throttle body angle.  Can you cobble up a coupling from the airbox outlet to the throttle body"  The V8 throttle body is "straight", not angled downward.  I am just throwing out thoughts here, since no one else seems to want to help.  The CAI topic has been discussed by numerous 3.8L V6 owners, so I am surprised they are not helping out here.

If the V8 airbox works, you will need to open up the narrow slot in the bottom, to allow more air flow.  I have helped V8 owners do that.  I looked for the Fast Toys duct, but apparently they no longer make it.  SLP has a similar duct that inserts in the enlarged slot on the bottom of the airbox and extends downward in front of the radiator baffle.

https://www.ecklers....nt=All Products

When you mention "the nostrils" are you talking about the indentations in the lower part of the front bumper, or the two slots in the seam between the hood and the upper bumper edge?  

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#5 tommy vercetti

tommy vercetti

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • First Name:Tommy
  • City:desenzano del garda
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1997
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: t 5

Posted 5 days ago

i do have some home made cold air intake, k&n cone filter down into the bummper / fender , connected to throttle body by a flexlible tube and an aluminum curve. 

it's similar to the cheap kits you can find on ebay. 

i can't honestly tell there has been much improvement.

i'll post a pic later. 

best solution i think would be the flow pac linked by injuneer , but it's mega expenisve. depends on the budget you have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users