TA decals - Exterior - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

TA decals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Will79

Will79

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Rancho Santa Margarita
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:Restoring TA, woodworking, photography
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 403
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm the original owner of a '79 TA.  Car runs well and is still fun to drive.  Have been slowly refurbishing the car with the engine rebuild and suspension work done.  Now it's on to the appearance.  Some things on exterior and interior I am doing myself but know at some point I'll be left with the body paint and decals to deal with.  The paint is actually still in good shape as the car has been garaged most of it's life.  The soft parts (front bumper/air dam, fender flares and spoiler) are the only part showing paint wear and the decals have faded over the years.  Ideally I'd only have to replace the decals and repaint the soft parts but need to educate myself as I have no experience with this type of work.

Question is how to remove the faded decals (particularly the hood bird) without damaging the paint?  Can it even be done/should it be done?   Or am I looking at a full body repaint?  

Attached Files

#2 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400

Posted 2 weeks ago

Full repaint. The reason being that you've got 40 year old paint and although it looks pretty good to you, once there's brand new paint next to it without blending it'll be clear as day that the parts have been repainted. Then you won't want to waste the money on a stripe kit because you'll realize the rest of the car needs to be painted. The type of paint originally used at the factory isn't commonly used anymore which also makes matching more difficult. Modern paints have a different "look" and depth /reflection is different even if you could get the color match close.

An option might be to buy a stripe kit and install that now because the stickers probably look worse than the paint. Then save up/plan ahead for a full repaint.

The stickers can usually be removed without damaging the paint although there may be a shadow (so to speak) caused by the difference in UV effect and weather over the past 40 years.

Tools for sticker/stripe removal range from around $12 and up like this.  https://www.amazon.c...1pAnSA==&sr=8-5

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#3 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1977
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sorry I dont have much to offer to answer your question but Im curious m, are your t-tops American T-top brand?

#4 Will79

Will79

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Will
  • City:Rancho Santa Margarita
  • State or Province:CA
  • Interests:Restoring TA, woodworking, photography
  • Year: 1979
  • Engine: 403

Posted 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the painting advice.  While I'm comfortable with mechanical repairs, I know finishing is an art and not something you just pick up and do on a weekend.  Not looking for a prize winner but do want to do a decent job right the first time.  I think I was expecting just such an answer.  Now to find a specialty paint shop that understands this kind of work on cars being restored.

For the other question, the top is a Hurst Hatch kit from the Pontiac dealer.  The dealer had no cars with factory tops and due to a trucking strike there was a six week wait for new deliveries from GM.  Since my first car had been stolen and I had just moved across county for flight school after graduation, I needed a car soon.  Dealer had a local shop they worked with so had the t-tops installed there.  As I understand the history, these are the first design Hurst top with the rubber seal overlapping the headliner same as the ones installed at the factory.  With a lot of care, the top has held up well and the seals have only been replaced once.  

#5 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • Year: 1977
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Awesome. Sorry to go off topic but thanks for the reply

#6 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2236 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 2 weeks ago

I just seen this product for the first time.  It might be exactly what you need.

https://www.oreillya...l/07498/4461990

Here's the video I saw it in.  If it doesn't start at 6m 05s, that's where you need to be.  After the "sticker eraser" they demonstrate another technique using a plastic razor and heat gun to remove the sticker, and then a chemical to remove the sticky residue left over.  Both methods appear safe and easy provided you are cautious.

https://youtu.be/aOjlROxOvn8?t=365

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#7 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400

Posted 2 weeks ago

I just seen this product for the first time.  It might be exactly what you need.

https://www.oreillya...l/07498/4461990

Here's the video I saw it in.  If it doesn't start at 6m 05s, that's where you need to be.  After the "sticker eraser" they demonstrate another technique using a plastic razor and heat gun to remove the sticker, and then a chemical to remove the sticky residue left over.  Both methods appear safe and easy provided you are cautious.

https://youtu.be/aOjlROxOvn8?t=365

The 3 M wheel works good, that's why I linked it in my 1st post.  Plastic razor trick works good on typical pin stripes etc. that are up to say 15-20 YO depending on the car but not as well on really old dry cracked stickers.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#8 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2236 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 2 weeks ago

The 3 M wheel works good, that's why I linked it in my 1st post.

...and I somehow missed that.  Sorry.  :)

• NOT A TA likes this

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#9 tpollauf

tpollauf

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Timothy
  • City:Oregon
  • Interests:Modifying and fabricating just about anything. Mechanical engineer by education, Refrigeration pipefitter by union trade. Almost retired !
  • Year: 1974
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 283 chevy
  • Transmission: 3-speed manual

Posted 2 weeks ago

When you do "bite the bullet" and go for a full repaint, will you stick with a "decal" bird on the hood, or go with a custom painted bird?  Back when I restored my '74 firebird I chose to paint the bird on vs. the cost of the decal. Two reasons for me ... didn't have the $$$, and seeing how my vehicle was a basic Firebird, it DID NOT have the scoop/intake cut into the hood THUS I made my bird "fatter" to take up more hood space. Looking at it you could never tell the difference unless you know your Firebirds!

Attached File  IMG_9435.jpg   111.93KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users