1999 firebird headlight motor issues - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1999 firebird headlight motor issues

popup headlights headlight motor headlight motor relacement elecrtical

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 y87bird99

y87bird99

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • First Name:Joseph
  • City:Alden
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:Cars, Modifying my bird
  • Year: 1999
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Y87
  • Engine: 3800 Series 2
  • Transmission: Standard T5 5 speed

Posted A week ago

One day I put my headlight down and I heard the dreaded grinding that any forth gen owner knows. I figured that it was coming so not a big deal, I ordered a new headlight motor and installed it in an afternoon. I luckily tested it before reassembling the headlight because I'm having a couple of issues. First the passenger headlight (new motor) was going up when I turned off the lights and going down when turning them on. I switched the black and red wires on the connector and that solved that issue. Now the driver side headlight will go up and the passenger headlight is in sync but the passenger side won't go up without help when I turn the lights on. They both go down at the same time now so I guess I made some progress. I appreciate any help on this, I'm getting ready to put her on the road in spring because I'm about to get my license. 

#2 tom99

tom99

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • First Name:Tom
  • City:st Louis
  • State or Province:MO
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

Sounds to me like you should double check the orientation of the crank arm of the motor you replaced... those wires were probably in the right spots. That arm will attach 2 ways choosing the wrong way makes it do what your described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 y87bird99

y87bird99

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • First Name:Joseph
  • City:Alden
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:Cars, Modifying my bird
  • Model: Firebird Y87
  • Engine: 3800 Series 2
  • Transmission: Standard T5 5 speed

Posted A week ago

The crank arm is the hinged arm going from the motor output to the headlight housing correct. Could someone possibly upload a picture of the proper orientation for the passenger side bc I dont know how else it would line up. Thanks for the help I think you might be on to something.

Edited by y87bird99, A week ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: popup headlights, headlight motor, headlight, motor relacement, elecrtical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users