Opinions on trying to stay stock when... - Open Discussions - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on trying to stay stock when...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xsoldier

Xsoldier

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Eric
  • City:Vine Grove
  • State or Province:KY
  • Interests:after being a camaro and Chevelle and yes Mustang owner oh and lets not forget an olds...I am now the proud owner of a beautiful red 69 firebird with black vinyl top. Trying to learn more about it so I can properly take care of it since I haven't owned a classic since I was in mid 20's. I will be asking a lot of help from all of you guys and girls, men and women. Want to get it back the rest of the way to mostly stock appearance and then work on horsepower.
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: TH350

Posted A week ago

First let me say I am glad to have found Firebird Nation. I am the new owner of a 69 bird. I tend to think she is beautiful but upon it getting delivered I have found a few issues but nothing I consider major YET.

I am asking everyone. If a cars engine has been changed to a one year newer version. The original 69 for a 70 350 with 10 less horses. The paint is red but it was born green. The interior is black when it was dark green.....other than wheels that look like old SS Cragars on it she looks stock. This question of staying as close to stock will not change in appearance but in some other places under the hood. The car was born factory AC. However it was supposedly converted to 134 but the compressor doesn't kick on. It could just need a charge or it may not work. Then noticing that plugs 8 and 6 have the AC suitcase on the firewall so close to the plugs I am not sure how to change. I was thinking of converting to Vintage air because the system is smaller and would make working on all things a bit easier. I would also know everything works well. A fellow owns a shop that does work on classics said leave the factory air in place. Since all else is changed that I mentioned....does it now matter? Is it really going to hurt value? I don't care if the car ever were to be in a show or win anything. I like it fine. It would be nice if others did but I bought for me as I am sure all of you did. But I value opinions and what I may be missing in thinking. 

Any responses for or against will be good and sorry for being long winded. 

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   80.1KB   1 downloads

• Huck369 likes this

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3140 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

Since your asking for opinions, here's mine. Since your car is not a high dollar model like a trans am, not being totally stock won't hurt it's value much, if at all.

The car is yours, so do what you like. I do think the dark olive green metallic paint on a 69 looks really good. But red looks good also. So good, in fact, it's called "arrest me red" Red cars, especially sporty ones, get more tickets than any other color. I know this fact having learned it during a Florida safe driving course. Took the course to avoid points on my license, after getting a ticket.

#3 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Model: Esprit
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

Welcome Eric!

Since most of your car isn't stock going with aftermarket AC isn't going to change the value much up or down. Plan on about $2,500.00 total for an aftermarket HVAC system if you have a shop do it. Then add the cost of patching up and painting the firewall.

Since it was a factory AC car I'd just get that functioning if it was my car and I wanted AC.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#4 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

I like cars with period correct mods myself.     on changing those plugs ...  they make a plug socket with a hex on top for a wrench

#5 Huck369

Huck369

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • First Name:Huck
  • City:Somerset
  • Interests:Cars and motorcycles....things with wheels and Engines...
  • Year: 1976
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ...Soon to be 4-Speed

Posted A week ago

Good looking 69 Bird!  I'm on the "Keep the stock AC" since it's already there, probably just need a charge, but even if it needs a compressor, that is easier than a whole new system.

The 6 & 8 plugs are doable with the stock AC, and after you've done it a couple times it won't seem so hard.as for the color, I'd definitely keep the interior Black, as It seems to hold up better (shows stains less) as for the paint....I like the red, but could live with the Dark Green too.

Oh....and you're a Kentucky Boy too!

Huck

Edited by Huck369, A week ago.

Huck

1976 Formula Clone

1979 Formula Parts Car

1988 Subaru XT6 5-Speed

1992 Subaru SVX 5-Speed

2012 Subaru Forester

2015 Subaru Impreza

...and a few Motorcycles....

#6 Martin Cooper

Martin Cooper

Firebird Tire Changer

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • First Name:Martin
  • City:Estero
  • Interests:All things Pontiac
  • Year: 1967
  • Engine: 326
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

If your AC compressor is bad, as in it can't be fixed inexpensively, then I would consider a new smaller, more efficient, Sanden compressor and leave the rest of the system intact. Vintage Air can supply a compressor conversion.
As far as the color goes, I personally prefer the great colors that were offered by Pontiac in the late 60's. It's all a matter of personal choice. Good luck.

#7 Xsoldier

Xsoldier

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Eric
  • City:Vine Grove
  • Interests:after being a camaro and Chevelle and yes Mustang owner oh and lets not forget an olds...I am now the proud owner of a beautiful red 69 firebird with black vinyl top. Trying to learn more about it so I can properly take care of it since I haven't owned a classic since I was in mid 20's. I will be asking a lot of help from all of you guys and girls, men and women. Want to get it back the rest of the way to mostly stock appearance and then work on horsepower.
  • Year: 1969
  • Transmission: TH350

Posted A week ago

Thanks Guys! 

Sea Dog....I have had a red Camaro in my life and yes you do get more tickets. Even when you get a warning you tend to get pulled over more.

Not A TA...I am learning that I don't have to replace all so if the compressor or other parts are bad I will just replace. I figure the factory set up has all the plumbing in place etc.

Joe68....Just did see those ratchet adapters with the 12 point nub for finger tightening and I have some ratcheting wrenches as well that would slip on that side so maybe. Seems I had a car once that I had to get to some plugs from underneath and another I had to get to from the front wheel well.  Ah the joys....I will take it over all the new stuff. I may switch later depending on performance to one of the EFI set ups because this carb seems to often bog down if you try to punch it before it takes off. I know it is a sudden gulp of air doing it. Have only driven it twice in this cold air since getting it last week.

Huck...yes a KY guy as well. Don't spread it around  though !! Some people think we have no edumukation and are barefoot. That is only in the summer. Cabin floors are too cold in the winter! 

Martin Cooper....I was thinking if you went vintage you had to use all their parts and do a complete swap. If I can replace as needed then that would be great.

Working on that side of the engine is the toughest part. I also have to find that upper section of the dipstick tube as they don't have it and the end with loop is right next to the plug BEHIND that AC compressor. So I will need the correct length dipstick. Notice that online even AMES and others are out of them or unavailable and others have them priced at 100$ where others that don't have were around 35. I suppose it is American Supply and Demand. 

On the color...If it needs a repaint in my lifetime I may take it back to original. I do love the shine on this HOWEVER what you said Martin about factory colors. Now the modern cars are like ford in the beginning. You can order in any color so long as it is black white or silver/grey ! To see something other than red is odd in my area. Walk out of a store and all the cars look alike. Every car is silver grey black or white and looks like the KENTUCKY Camry. Formerly known as Toyota. 

Thanks guys for the help and opinions. All will be taken with thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users