Alternator not charging - circuit board? Ignition Switch? - Electrical - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Alternator not charging - circuit board? Ignition Switch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon S

Jon S

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Jon
  • City:Macungie
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: Firebird
  • Model: 350HO
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Manual

Posted A week ago

I am trying to resurrect my 69 firebird that I have had in my garage for 39 years. It runs great but wont charge. I have tried alternator and external regulator replacement, wiring checking under hood etc, but still not charging. I had car at restoration place for work; they re-did some mechanical items for me and tried to figure out the electrical issue, but are not able to complete the electrical evaluation/repair for me for some reasons due to covid they say. Anyway, I believe the issue is dash area; circuit board, ignition switch, maybe even wiring under dash (?). I have the factory stacked gauges, factory tach. Tach works, headlights work, but none of the lights (gen) in the dash work. Gas gauge and horn doesn't work either. I get the car back early next week and am thinking of taking a look at it myself to see if I can repair it. I was hoping some people here have had the same issue and could shed some insight. Has anyone ever replaced their circuit board or ignition switch? Wondering what the difficulty level is; seems like wouldn't be too challenging, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks for taking the time to review my issue,
Jon

#2 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1476 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted A week ago

I would first confirm the alternator is putting out around 14 volts when the engine is running using a voltmeter touching the main big wire nut on the back of the alternator to ground.

Then check the voltage with the engine running at the battery. With the engine off, the battery should read somewhere around 12 volts With the engine running it should check around 14...maybe 13.5. Is the wire running from the back of the alternator to the main starter + connection in good condition? Even check the voltage at the main starter connector with the engine running. If about 13.5 to 14.5 volts are not making it to the + battery when the engine is running, it will not charge. 

#3 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

beyond what Joe said , bad grounds can cause goofy probs.    corrosion in connectors or damaged wires could be cause too.   I;ve found that the fuse contacts on mine needed cleaning even tho they looked fine.    I could wiggle fuse around and suddenly it worked

#4 Jon S

Jon S

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Jon
  • City:Macungie
  • Year: 1969
  • Make: Firebird
  • Model: 350HO
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Manual

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the input guys, I will go over every connection and clean and make sure good connection.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users