1984 Pontiac Trans am T5 Reccommendations - Performance Modifications - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1984 Pontiac Trans am T5 Reccommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gsmith4848

Gsmith4848

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:Grayson
  • City:Bremerton
  • State or Province:WA
  • Year: 1984
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans am
  • Engine: L69
  • Transmission: Manual T5 Borg-Warner

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:01 PM

Hello, 

Brand new to this website, so im really sorry if someone has made this topic before (currently deployed in the middle east, our internet has problems loading web pages on most days). Im thinking about buying an 84 trans am with the 5 speed manual. 88k miles, in really good condition. What things should i be looking for before making the purchase? Any known problems i need to be aware of? It doesnt need to be a speed demon, just looking for a fun cruising car. Will i be disappointed with the L69 for this purpose? I have thought about the possibility of doing an engine swap and dropping a 350 in. If i do that what else will need to be changed? What 350s should i be looking at? (iv thought about chevy crate engines) How much hp can the trans handle? Sorry if i sound like an idiot im not the most knowledgeable on this era of cars. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!  

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2205 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

The T5 can't handle the torque of the 350, that's why they were never sold with a 350/5-spd combo.  To be honest, I don't think you'd be disappointed even the slightest with the 5.0L/5-spd unless your expectations are unrealistic.  While the 80s may have absolutely *sucked* for horsepower ratings, they still had 300+lbft of torque, most of it down low in the RPM band, so, still very respectable off the line and through the gears.  Definitely fun to drive in my opinion.  Around town, you're never really going to get up into the RPM range where peak horsepower is normally found, at least, not long enough to enjoy it.  300+ torque on the other hand, just as good as the LS/LT1's.  Plenty of pull where it's really needed and truly enjoyable.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13927 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:51 PM

Here's a good article that includes someone’s personal experience with the star.. 

https://www.hemmings...ontiac-trans-am

The L69 was rated at 190 HP, and 240 lb-ft at 3,200 RPM.  Typically ran the 1/4 in 15.5-seconds @ 90 MPH.

https://oldcarmemori...e-1980s-legend/

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users