New member from Syracuse - Introductions and Staff Photos - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

New member from Syracuse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Birds Over Cuse

Birds Over Cuse

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 0 posts
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:Syracuse
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:triathlons, bluegrass (banjo, dobro and guitar), chemistry. Bourbon.
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 326
  • Transmission: Auto 2 speed ST-300

Posted A week ago

Hi all,

Thanks for the admit, new member, first post.  Stumbled across my 67 Firebird last July driving the back roads of Madison County in upstate New York.  It's an unrestored 326/2 bbl coupe in Signet Gold, built in Ohio and birthed at the Van Winkle dealership in Dallas; I'm apparently the 4th owner.  It appears to be a true survivor, 74K miles (only 4K since 2001) with the original engine, trans and drive train, interior and paint, even has the original jack and that strange compact spare with the inflator.  Consistent with the PHS docs, it's equipped with a pretty standard set of options: factory air, 2 speed ST-300, deluxe interior/trim, AM radio, PS and PB.  And a front bench seat, which I'm told is decidedly uncommon

The car is running pretty well for an old lady, but has the expected list of mechanical issues.  Currently swapping out the leaking Harrison radiator; new tranny cooler lines and a carb rebuild are next on the list.  I spent the last 40 years teaching chemistry and paying someone else to work on my cars, so I have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me on this new project.  I've already learned a ton from the site and I'm sure to have lots of questions from those of you that have traveled this road before.

[attachment=202442:FB 1 copy.jpg]

Edited by Birds Over Cuse, A week ago.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3110 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

Welcome to the forum.

You have a pretty solid project car. We're here to help.

#3 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13861 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

Welcome to Firebird Nation ! ! !

Sounds like an amazing find.  It will be important to document with photos the condition on everything you can, since it appears to be a survivor.  That will provide invaluable reference info for others starting out on correct restorations.  Thanks in advance!

Best thing to do is start a thread to document your adventure.  Everybody loves to see these projects.  I'm sure in my case it will bring back memories of the 1968 I bought brand new (and unfortunately no longer own).

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#4 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4206 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted A week ago

Great to have you here. Great looking car.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#5 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

welcome !   bench seats are fairly rare...most ppl switched to buckets at some point.   my car came with bench and column shift but was switched before I got it.   i owned another 68 yrs ago that had deluxe interior and fold down rear seat.  

#6 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2164 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted A week ago

Welcome aboard!   That looks like an excellent find.  Please do the things Injuneer suggested.  Not only to help others see what "original/factory" looks like for their restoration and for our general enjoyment, but also for yourself.  It often takes years to finish these cars.  Being able to go back and see what you started with, where you ended up, and everything inbetween is priceless.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#7 Birds Over Cuse

Birds Over Cuse

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 0 posts
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:Syracuse
  • State or Province:NY
  • Interests:triathlons, bluegrass (banjo, dobro and guitar), chemistry. Bourbon.
  • Year: 1967
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 326
  • Transmission: Auto 2 speed ST-300

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been keeping my own restoration diary and will be more than happy to transfer those notes to a thread.  Am I correct in assuming the place to start said thread is in the "Showroom" forum?  

I've taken lots of pictures of the car and will be happy to share any or all with the group.  Any guidance as to the group's preferred protocol for uploading/archiving photos and other media?

#8 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

the showroom is for sharing your car pics.    you can start a thread under first gen .   to add pics to your thread use the more reply options button right next to the post button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users