1970 catalina - General Engine (Non-Gen Specific) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1970 catalina

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 70catalina

70catalina

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Pat
  • City:Cincinnati
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Catalina
  • Engine: 350 pontiac
  • Transmission: Auto 350

Posted 2 weeks ago

Please Help....i kno its not a firebird but its hard to find pontiac help...i have a 70 catalina with 350/350 combo and it seems sluggish after initial take off but once going its not too bad but not great and i was getting a knocking or pinging sound with vacuum advance hooked up but not with it off....where do i start to find problem...any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

#2 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

I would start with the ignition system. Make sure the timing is set around 8° - 10° with the vacuum advance hose disconnected. Give the engine a rev with the timing light hooked up and make sure the timing mark advances up off the scale, then comes back. 

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3110 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

Fuel system could be causing problem also. If gas in tank is old, drain the gas. New inline fuel filter and filter at carb inlet. Being car is 50 years old, I'm betting filter sock in gas tank is pretty clogged up too.

Unfortunately,  gas tank must be dropped to inspect & replace filter sock. This would be a good opportunity to inspect inside the gas thank for rust & crud.

Carb could use a good cleaning and rebuild also. A good cleaning doesn't mean spraying carb cleaner on outside of carb. It means disassembling carb, soaking carb body in carb cleaner, installing rebuild kit and adjusting carb settings.

#4 D Bergy

D Bergy

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • First Name:Dan
  • City:Grand Rapids
  • State or Province:MN
  • Interests:Cars, Alternative medicine, Practicing Guitar
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: Firebird
  • Model: Convertable
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

In 70 they still had some pretty high compression ratios. If the other good suggestions dont do it you may just need higher octane fuel. Do you know what the compression ratio is?

My 71 Mach 1 was something like 10.5 to 1. No way that wasnt going to ping without help.

Dan

#5 70catalina

70catalina

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Pat
  • City:Cincinnati
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1970
  • Model: Catalina
  • Engine: 350 pontiac
  • Transmission: Auto 350

Posted 2 weeks ago

It has new carb 1406....new performer 2156 intake.... new distributor but is factory style points and both fuel filters are new an for the timing it seems to like between 9and12 so im guessing fuel and tuning would be issue and i can only get 93 octane and add booster near me so not exactly sure what octane im getting but what would be ideal octane?

#6 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Have you made any adjustments to the carb ?  I would run the idle mixture screws on the rich side of the good range, a little extra fuel will help against ping. Is the distributor the factory part number. Every distributor part number has a specific timing curve matched to the engine, just like every carburetor has specific jets and metering rods selected to work well with that engine. When you replace your factory carb with an aftermarket carb, there is a good side and a bad side. The good side is that you have a new carb in brand new condition, the down side is that you lost the "tune" that the factory carb had that matches you engine. The same thing with the distributor, the timing curve in the distributor that came in your engine, has a curve matched to your engine, gears, cam, etc, on the mechanical curve on the vacuum advance. Sounds like you need to dial in the carb and timing since you changed the carb and distributor.  

#7 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3110 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

According to the Motor 1971 service manual, 350 Pontiac motor for 1970 had 8.8 to 1 compression. So it should run fine on 93 octane gas. You might even be able to run mid grade gas without knock or ping also.

#8 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

did you adjust the dwell when you put in dist ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users