2nd Gen diff - Drivetrain - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

2nd Gen diff

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fbird79

Fbird79

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • First Name:Nic
  • City:Winnipeg
  • State or Province:MB
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 301
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hey Im just wondering what kinda gear ratio I can put in my stock 10bolt to get more torque. Im sandblasting and powder coating it so I might aswell throw some good guts in there while its off the car. Thanks in advance

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2088 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you have the 2.73, 3.23 would be a nice improvement.  3.42 is an option too if I recall correctly.  Personally, I wouldn't go higher even if I could.  3.23 is a good balance between performance and economy.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 b_hill_86

b_hill_86

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • First Name:Brian
  • City:Toledo
  • State or Province:OH
  • Year: 1977
  • Engine: Pontiac 400
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Depends on your current ratio. There are different carriers and you may need to change depending on what you have and what you want to go with.

Also depends on how you drive your car. I like the ability to drive on the highway so when I swapped mine I went from 2.41 to 3.08. I personally wouldnt ever go any numerically higher than 3.08 for any kind of highway driving unless it was only literally every once in a while.

#4 Fbird79

Fbird79

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted A week ago

I wont be doing highway driving, Im thinking more a light to light cruiser, I was thinking of 3.42 or maybe higher, Im looking for torque

#5 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1447 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted A week ago

I always thought a gear is a compromise situation. Depending on what cam you have, how much torque the engine itself makes, what is your expectation for acceleration, and of course what RPM do you want to cruise at...and at what highway speed. If you say I want to keep my engine RPM below 2300 at 70 mph, and calculate back to see what you get, and say it comes out to a 3.23, and that is a good improvement from what you have now, then OK. Or go at it from the other direction, and say I want to increase my rear wheel torque by 35%, and that maths out to a 3.73, and you don't really get on the highway that often, then that may work best. In the end, for the street, in a car you may find yourself on the highway going 70 MPH, a 3.42, or maybe a 3.55 if you want to stretch it is where I would draw the line. In a 3600 lb. Firebird with a 301 you may want to go 3.73 if you really want a big jump, but be aware that you will wish you had an extra gear if you get on the highway. With a 400 or 455 for sure, a great street gear is 3.08, but the bigger engines make more torque at the flywheel so they don't need the gear a 301 may need....it's a trade off for sure. Gears are like cams, don't go too crazy and you will like it better.

#6 Fbird79

Fbird79

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted A week ago

I always thought a gear is a compromise situation. Depending on what cam you have, how much torque the engine itself makes, what is your expectation for acceleration, and of course what RPM do you want to cruise at...and at what highway speed. If you say I want to keep my engine RPM below 2300 at 70 mph, and calculate back to see what you get, and say it comes out to a 3.23, and that is a good improvement from what you have now, then OK. Or go at it from the other direction, and say I want to increase my rear wheel torque by 35%, and that maths out to a 3.73, and you don't really get on the highway that often, then that may work best. In the end, for the street, in a car you may find yourself on the highway going 70 MPH, a 3.42, or maybe a 3.55 if you want to stretch it is where I would draw the line. In a 3600 lb. Firebird with a 301 you may want to go 3.73 if you really want a big jump, but be aware that you will wish you had an extra gear if you get on the highway. With a 400 or 455 for sure, a great street gear is 3.08, but the bigger engines make more torque at the flywheel so they don't need the gear a 301 may need....it's a trade off for sure. Gears are like cams, don't go too crazy and you will like it better.

Thank you, thats exactly what Im looking for

#7 Ponch73

Ponch73

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • First Name:James
  • City:Lakewood
  • State or Province:CO
  • Year: 1973
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: 3spd Auto

Posted 3 days ago

Very good write up Joe  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users