Good idea for an upgrade on a stock 94 Firebird ? - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Good idea for an upgrade on a stock 94 Firebird ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • First Name:Edgar
  • City:Chicago
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:Care and basketball
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 5.7L
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys so this is the order I will make upgrades on my car. What you guys think ? Am I going about it the correct way ? Its a v8 94 Trans am Gt stock with 63k miles.

http://www.stranopar...ID=89&ModelID=2

Then this

https://www.carid.co...1002151274.html

Followed by a shock tower and next year Ill add this

https://www.umiperfo...-kit-automatic/

Followed by 18inch rims and tires 285/45-18

Is anything wrong with this setup or any recommendations?
Just want the car to be better than what it is currently since it is an old car. Car runs good and no issues aside from fuel gauge not working. I wont use the car for racing. Im just a spirited street driver.

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13778 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:30 PM

How much drop on the lowering springs?

Risky comment, I'll probably get banned from the site..... Go to Yelp.  Search Carid in Cranbury NJ.  Read past the first review

Those tires are grossly oversized at 28” diameter, for an SUV.  Makes no sense to put lowering springs on the car, then put oversize tires that jack the whole car back up.  Probably won’t even fit in the front wheel wells.  

#3 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

Preferably I wouldnt want to drop the car but I think an inch or inch and a half wouldnt be so bad.

Screw Carid then lol

Should I go by tirerack recommendation of a 275/40-18 or what do you think I can put on the car? I want whatever wider tires I can get without having to do extra things to make them fit. So either 275 or 285 whichever I can get.

Overall you think the setup is ok? Im so new at this so I just want to make sure Im going about it ok lol

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13778 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:29 PM

Then why are you buying a kit with lowering springs?  And since it is a lowering kit, find out how much.

What size tires were on the car from the factory?  See label on door.  That will help match the correct tire diameter, so you don't have to reprogram the PCM to correct the speedometer.  Stock tires were either:

235/55-16 = 26.2”

or

245/50-16 = 25.6”

Wider tires require wider wheel.  For example if you selected a 285/35-18 (25.9”) you would need a wheel (not “rim”) in the range of 9.5” to 11.0” wide.  Fitting 11.0” wide wheels (usually in back only) is a challenge.  You would probably go with an 18 x 9.5” wheel with a 50mm to 56mm offset.

#5 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

I emailed the website to see how much it would lower the car.

The stock tire size is 245/50zr16

On tire rack it shows me I can either go with 245/40-18 all around set up or go with a staggered 245/40-18 and rear 275/35-18.
I want to have that wide look. Idk if maybe I should look at wheel spacers ??? Just trying to pick your brain on what you know would work since I notice you have experience with f bodies.

#6 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

Its a 1.5 inch drop for the springs

#7 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13778 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:45 PM

A 1.5” drop is good for Auto-X, not so good for drag racing.  Also can cause problems on speed-bumps, steep driveway entrances, asphalt roads with deep tire ruts from 80,000# tri-axle trucks, etc.

Do you want it to look wide because the tires are wide, or look wide because you added spacers and the outside edge of the wheel/tire is close to the outside edge of the fender (but it still has skinny tires)?  If the latter, you adjust where the outside edge of the wheel/tire sits by selecting the correct wheel offset, not with spacers.

With the correct width wheels, and the correct wheel offset, you can run 275's or 285’s in the front, and 315’s in the back.  Here's a link to photos of a Camaro with 355’s in the back.  That required mini-tubs - but it looks real mean.

https://www.camaroz2...ub-355s-884674/

Staggered wheels/tires make it impossible to rotate tires to maximize tire life.  The factory tire on the WS6 option was 275/40-17 on 17”x9” wheels, 50mm offset, on all 4 corners.

Here's a link to my setup, with an explanation of what’s required to accomplish it:

Scroll up to post #8, right above it, and there is a list of tire and wheel sizes that work on 4th Gens.

https://www.camaroz2...42/#post3422887

• Flyman likes this

#8 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Peter
  • City:Quahog
  • State or Province:RI
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 LT1
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

Finally lurking again after a break and finally getting a chance to get some work done, I hope y'all don't mind the thread-jack!

I was looking at the OE C7 Z06 replicas in a staggered setup 17/18.  After checking out the link Injuneer provided above it looks like that wheel is available for the front in a 17x9.5 with a 54mm offset (not quite the ideal 56mm) which would pair with a 275/40-17 tire and the rear wheel in a 18x10.5 with a 56mm offset and 305/35-18 tire which I'm HOPING would be perfect...?...!

#9 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13778 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:53 AM

Finally lurking again after a break and finally getting a chance to get some work done, I hope y'all don't mind the thread-jack!

I was looking at the OE C7 Z06 replicas in a staggered setup 17/18.  After checking out the link Injuneer provided above it looks like that wheel is available for the front in a 17x9.5 with a 54mm offset (not quite the ideal 56mm) which would pair with a 275/40-17 tire and the rear wheel in a 18x10.5 with a 56mm offset and 305/35-18 tire which I'm HOPING would be perfect...?...!

Please start a new thread for this topic.  It gets too confusing when tacking this on to someone else's thread.

#10 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • First Name:Peter
  • City:Quahog
  • State or Province:RI
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7 LT1