Interior Vinyl...what color is this? 1973 Formula - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Interior Vinyl...what color is this? 1973 Formula

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • First Name:Joseph
  • City:Indianapolis (MARION)
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1973
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted A week ago

Can someone enlighten me on what color this dash/console/trim is?  Its like olive green......I know for a fact that the carpet (gold) and seat covers (white) are not original.  We are going to be slowly converting interior to black...have already done the door panels.

You can see the difference in the black door panels and the kick/dash in the picture.  Kind of low light and one is with flash, so I can take better pics later. 

I cant seem to find a color match anywhere online.  Just want to be sure before we replace or paint black it isn't something special.

Cheers, Joe

Attached Files

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3032 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

The closest color I can find on the 73 interior color chips is nothing. But for 71, there is a color called jade that looks close to what your interior is. Jade is actually closer to olive green then jade green.

Keep in mind that car being 47 years old, and has had multiple owners, that original color interior could have been swapped for whats in there now. Actually the olive does not work well with the outside color of your car.

If you want to know for sure what color exterior & interior was when car left the factory, go to the Pontiac Historical Site. For a modest fee, they will send you copies oforiginal documents that car left factory with. This would include things like window sticker, build sheet, etc.

#3 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted A week ago

The closest color I can find on the 73 interior color chips is nothing. But for 71, there is a color called jade that looks close to what your interior is. Jade is actually closer to olive green then jade green.

Keep in mind that car being 47 years old, and has had multiple owners, that original color interior could have been swapped for whats in there now. Actually the olive does not work well with the outside color of your car.

If you want to know for sure what color exterior & interior was when car left the factory, go to the Pontiac Historical Site. For a modest fee, they will send you copies oforiginal documents that car left factory with. This would include things like window sticker, build sheet, etc.

I've actually contacted PHS and they do not have record of my VIN....they say its rare but not unheard of. The Body Cowl Tag States 255 which I believe is beige....but this sure isn't beige to me.

Completely agree that this color does not look good with the orange...which is why we will be converting to black. Just kind of bugging me for now that I can't figure out what it was and if it was original or from another year.  I'll look up that Jade color.  I'd hate to paint it if its something specific someone would prefer to save over me converting to black.

Joe

#4 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted A week ago

huh...I just found this https://tran-zam.com...73Interior.aspx

If you look at the last picture...for the beige....it calls it ".....Bravado Bolster Cloths and Madrid Morrokides"

That actually looks pretty close....ugly...but close  :lol:

#5 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2048 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted A week ago

Looking at the photos, I was seeing a brown-green but thought it was a trick of light and a color I have never seen. I looked up '73 as SeaDog was posting and noted "no green" that year, but also the brown I was seeing in the pictures could not be from the colors available such as the saddle or that Madrid brown.  Seeing as how he confidently pointed to a '71, I thought I missed something and left it there.   ...but I see you also pulled up '73.

The brown I thought I saw mixed in the green is a dark brown.  To be honest, I've only seen it in the '80s Pontiac Grand Prix I had which was champagne in color.  I just tried to look up the color, and the color swatch I see that I consider brown is black.  ...even tho it looks brown compared to all the other blacks on the page.

Maybe it was ?black? and some dye faded leaving that greenish color?  ...but 255 is "saddle", and I can't say I've seen saddle or black for that matter fade into a color anywhere near that.  

I'd say you definitely have a mystery on your hands.  It is no known color.

That Grand Prix brown (black) looks like this:  https://www.carid.com/cipher/1-yard-x-57-leatherette-seat-material-mpn-cpa9300pbk.html?singleid=372372541&vehicle=7405   my wife sees that as brown too, so, maybe black with QA issues in the dyes.

To put that black in contrast, second one, "matte finish",  https://www.carid.co...ive-upholstery/

Either way, that isn't what the body tag says it was or should be.

Given the lack oh PHS documentation and the odd color, I might suggest it is a "pre-production" or a very early production model.   ...which is "rare".

Definitely hold off on a color change until you're positive what you have there.  

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#6 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted A week ago

Hi Tony...i'll post some better pictures in a few days when I'm back at it and the lighting is better.  We for sure aren't planning to paint it anytime soon.  if we find out its something to save I'll even look to replace it with something and set it aside until someone needs it or wants it.  We are going to be pulling a lot of the trim and console stuff out when the carpet gets replaced.

If I get better pictures...does anyone have a suggestion on another source to run them by to confirm a strange fade over the years or if its destined to be saved?

Cheers, joe

#7 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

yrs ago my wife had a 74 esprit with a weird green interior but at least the paint was green so it didnt clash. the seats were a even lighter green color.  car was well optioned so we thought we could live with the green

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users