fuel guage stuck beyond full - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

fuel guage stuck beyond full

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msammy93

msammy93

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • First Name:Michael
  • City:Hamilton
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Year: 1981
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: Chevy 400
  • Transmission: TH400 MVB

Posted A week ago

So had to remove my gas tank in order to replace my leaf springs. Now the fuel gauge is stuck beyond full even though their is only 1.5 to 2 gallons of gas in the tank. I am sure I put the plug on the sending unit back and I even repaired a part of the wire that was damaged. The ground is also screwed into a cleaned out area.

Could a bad gauge cause it to stick beyond full? Kind of strange considering it was working fine before I removed it.

#2 Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 403 Olds
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

Beyond full means the ground wire is likely damaged or not connected. Check it first before going further.

#3 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2047 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted A week ago

Beyond full means the ground wire is likely damaged or not connected. Check it first before going further.

^^^^^ THIS!

Add corroded to the list as well.  If you had to repair a wires insulator, there could be corrosion in the harness.  Any green or black copper anywhere is bad.  Unfortunately, a nearly 40 year old wire can look brand new on the outside, but could also be the farthest thing from it on the inside. Copper might be shiny on one end and black on the other.  Corrosion can increase resistance in the wire to the point the circuits voltage is imbalanced causing "gremlins", or increase the resistance of the wire so high, it's like trying to use air to conduct the electricity.   As it was fine before, it's something very simple, and least likely the gauge.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#4 msammy93

msammy93

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • First Name:Michael
  • City:Hamilton
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Year: 1981
  • Engine: Chevy 400
  • Transmission: TH400 MVB

Posted A week ago

so dropped the tank and the sender and ground wire is perfectly fine. I cleaned up the ground and put the tank back in. Gauge was still pegged out. I then took the gauge out and tested the wires. The sending wire was reading 40 omhs. The voltage when ignition was on was 11.2v and the ground was working. it seems that the gauge got pegged out and stuck so I ordered a new gauge. Will update if the new gauge doesn't work.

#5 fireforeffect

fireforeffect

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Sykesville
  • State or Province:MD
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Trans Am WS6
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 days ago

Sorry, responded to your other post... it's your sending unit. Went thru this several weeks ago and narrowed it down to the sender. The resistor was bad. Replaced w/ a good quality part, ran the ground up into the trunk w/ a positive connection, and all works fine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users