94 Firebird trans am V8 LT1 upgrades... need suggestions - Performance Modifications - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

94 Firebird trans am V8 LT1 upgrades... need suggestions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • First Name:Edgar
  • City:Chicago
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:Care and basketball
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 5.7L
  • Transmission: Automatic

Posted A week ago

Hello Im new to this, I just bought a stock 94 bird in very good condition for its age with 63k miles. Car was hardly driven. Drove it about 20 miles from the dealer and noticed how rough it handles compared to my 17 Infiniti lol so many squeaks. Ok so what do you guys suggest I do to make the car handle better and smooth. It will be a weekend car and I drive my cars hard when I see an open road but wont be racing. Want it a little bit more powerful, I suck at car fixing but Im willing to spend some money. What should I do first ? Ive heard shocks and wheels/tires. I dont want to lower the car as I live in Chicago. Thanks again

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2041 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted A week ago

There shouldn't be any squeaks or rattles.  Check/replace all the rubber grommets and bushings.  Although the car is low mileage, the rubbers are still 26 years old.  Probably the best value per dollar to get a little more power out of the engine is a tune on a chassis dyno.  Always buy quality high-performance tires, and don't try to save money here.  Many like the BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted A week ago

Thank you. Yea I dont skimp on tires on my cars. The Firebird just feels very squeaky when I hit minor bumps and shift from park to drive. What I personally will change with time is Ill get a cat back exhaust, 18 staggered tires or 17 Idk what would be better. Also to improve the car not feeling like its going to fall apart being that its a 94 Ive heard this setup helps ??? To improve rise quality ?

https://www.summitra...ts/upi-2061strt

Any experience with that ?

#4 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13678 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted A week ago

Unreasonable to expect a 26-year old, moderately priced car to ride and and handle like an almost new luxury car.  With the proper suspension, wheels, and tires, 4th Gens have been successfully driven by SCCA class champions.   As far as the rattles, did you test drive it before you bought it?  My 94 has a very stiff, and noisy (spherical rod ends in place of soft rubber bushings) drag race suspension.  But it doesn’t have a rattle or a squeak. I've taken care of it for the 26 years I've owned it.

If you feel yours is in such poor condition, and not up to Infinity standards, might want to look for something else. 

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#5 Flyman

Flyman

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted A week ago

Hey thanks for the reply, again Im not car savvy. Im not expecting the car to handle like todays cars but I just want to improve its handling a bit so its not so stiff. I know 90s cars are what they are and I appreciate and am so excited to have this bird Ive always wanted. Just need some opinions from fellow bird owners on what I should do to improve the handling and make the car drive close to what it did back then if not better. Im learning as I go lol what should I start with ? Shocks and springs first ? Then tires ? Or sway bars etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users