Transmission question - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Transmission question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tabbedout90

Tabbedout90

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Brandon
  • City:Cache
  • State or Province:OK
  • Interests:Gm cars tinkering
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: Lt1 5.7l
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

So I have a 95 firebird formula with an automatic trans 3rd and 4th gears are out in it but from what I have read only the 95 lt1 4l60e transmission will work I cant get any other year because of the solenoids or something any advice? Where is a good place to look? All junk yards around me say they dont have one so I'm lost

#2 Injuneer

Injuneer

Just Trying to Help

• Administrator
  • 13689 posts
  • First Name:Fred
  • City:Central NJ
  • State or Province:NJ
  • Interests:Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical)
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 381ci LT1 stroker
  • Transmission: TH400 + GV O/D

Posted 2 weeks ago

Correct, you specifically need a 1995 4L60E from a 1995 F-Body.  Earlier versions use simple on/off lockup.  95 uses pulse width modulated (PWM) converter lockup.  Later years are PWM, but have different 3->2 downshift strategy, and a different downshift solenoid and different control valve.  Details here:

http://www.ltxtech.c...nd-interchanges

Try parts wanted forums on sites like:

CamaroZ28.com

ltxtech.com

ls1tech.com

Or consider a quality rebuild.

https://cahallperfor...4l60e,-65e,-70e

1994 FIREBIRD FORMULA
FRED

381ci all-forged stroker (Callies Stealth, Oliver billet rods, BME 2618-T61 nitrous pistons) - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - Comp Cams solid roller - MoTeC M48 Pro engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 74#/HR injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendors 0.78:1 O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11 Pro-Street gears - AS&M headers - true duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP / 800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117 MPH straight motor

https://www.firebird...9_698_32777.jpg

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3029 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1

Posted 2 weeks ago

Try this salvage yard search engine. You can search your state. http://www.car-part.com

Are you sure that you need a new trans? I'm asking because there are codes that disable certain gears from engaging. and they don't light the cel. You can download the 95 service manual at the following link. The driveability & emissions section lists all the codes, what causes them to set, what pcm does when code sets, & troubleshooting. http://www.mediafire.../?40mfgeoe4ctti

Even though your 95 has the 16 pin obd 2 type aldl, it's an obd 1 computer system that needs an obd 1 scanner to read codes.

#4 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sounds like the 3-4 clutch pack is toast. Both shift solenoids are OFF in 3rd, so that rules out a shift solenoid. The seal around the 3-4 apply piston may have started to get blow by and then the 3-4 clutches start to slip and burn up. Being that a '95 is a unique year, and even if you find one in a junkyard, there is no reason to think it is in good condition as is. Many old cars are in the junkyard because the engine or transmission went bad, so it's a crap shoot you would even get a good one if you were to find a '95. What your options are are kinda based on what you can do yourself. Options range from replacing just the 3-4 apply piston and clutch pack, to getting a rebuild kit and replacing more stuff while the trans is out and opened up, to just replacing the whole thing with a rebuilt one, to just having a shop rebuild the one in the car. While one can't really sort out a car problem on the internet, it sounds like the 3-4 clutch pack is burned up, which is a common thing for the 4L60E.

#5 Tabbedout90

Tabbedout90

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Engine: Lt1 5.7l

Posted 2 weeks ago

It shifts into third momentarily only to slip back out and feel like it's in neutral until u slow down a bit and 2nd kicks back in and then it does it again. I have a code reader and no trans codes are coming up only a code 26 for evap canister solenoid which I think is from a vacuum leak going into that solenoid

#6 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3029 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sounds like trans is toast.

If your willing to drive to Newman Lake Washington, there's a trans shop there owned by Jon. He's a member of the ls1lt1 forum. He's honest and does great work. It's hard to find trans shops that are honest & do good work.

Sorry that I don't have his last name. But you should be able to find him if you want him to rebuild your 4l60e.

Members from the ls1lt1 forum have had their transmissions rebuilt by Jon. He did excellent work on all of them.

#7 Tabbedout90

Tabbedout90

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts