Spark plug installation question - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Spark plug installation question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SoCalTA

SoCalTA

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • First Name:Jorge
  • City:Agua Dulce
  • State or Province:CA
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT-1
  • Transmission: M^

Posted 2 weeks ago

So I've got my headers back from the coaters and I've got the drivers side in and putting things back together.  I'm putting the plugs back in .. front to back... all going well until I hit the last one.  If I would have thought this through I would have installed the O2 sensor after I installed that last plug but anywhoo... here's the problem/question.

Is it possible to strip the threads on the head while installing the plug?  I can see where the plug goes .... and it looks like the plug isn't coming straight out of the head but rather pitched slightly towards the center of the engine.  I took my time turning the plug until it seemed like it naturally met the threads .. I didnt force anything and so I am not sure if the damage is done or I just have the orientation all wrong .. I now this isnt rocket science but sometimes when you are in the thick of things ... you dont see something you otherwise might. 

thanks

Jorge 

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3032 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

It is easy to cross thread plugs into an aluminum head. Threads in aluminum are easy to damage. And repairing thread damage would require head removal.  So be very careful to get the plug threaded correctly.

You might want to buy an O2 socket to remove sensor if that will make installing plug easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users