Front Brake Line FUBAR - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Front Brake Line FUBAR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • First Name:Ed
  • City:Las Vegas
  • State or Province:NV
  • Interests:anything on wheels that goes fast
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firechicken
  • Engine: 350-4
  • Transmission: TH 350

Posted 2 weeks ago

So the little nut on the end of the brake line where it goes into the flex line right at the little frame bracket is stripped. I tried to flatten a couple of the sides and get a set of vice grips on there and heat but I cant get the connector unscrewed from the hard line. Can I cut the end of the hardline and put a new end on it or should I just get another hardline with a new end? Ive always bought my brake components and bolted them together. Ive never fabbed up brake lines before.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3021 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

Seeing that your car is 44 years old, if it hasn't been done yet, I's get all new hard lines and install them. They make them in regular steel and stainless. Inline tube is a good place to get new hard lines.

Even though you live in a low humidity area of the country, the brake fluid has slowly been rusting your lines from the inside out.

#3 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Seeing that your car is 44 years old, if it hasn't been done yet, I's get all new hard lines and install them. They make them in regular steel and stainless. Inline tube is a good place to get new hard lines.

Even though you live in a low humidity area of the country, the brake fluid has slowly been rusting your lines from the inside out.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised when I saw the brake fluid.  It almost looks brand new and I know it's been in there for the last 3 years.  This was a Palm Springs and Vegas car and has meticulous records with oil changes and everything.  I know the system has been flushed pretty regularly.  Either way, I went ahead and ordered some.  I was going to replace all the lines at once when I did the rear suspension with the disc conversion.  I am replacing the entire booster at that point anyways.  Just threw a wrench in my timing this week as I was supposed to get this one out the garage and and do brakes on two other vehicles and then put this one back up to do the the rest of the work.  Now I gotta sit around and wait.  I guess I can start pulling the interior.

#4 fireforeffect

fireforeffect

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • First Name:Jason
  • City:Sykesville
  • State or Province:MD
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Trans Am WS6
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A day ago

Short answer is YES you can cut the hard line at the threaded collar and it will cut behind the flare so you'll be able to remove the collar easily and replace w/ a new one. But you'll need a flaring tool to re-flare the hard line which isn't cheap and not the easiest thing to do w/ limited space/angles. Went thru this a month ago, the one on my passenger side was already rounded off when I went to replace the flex lines and I was in the same position. Try 1) soaking the collar w/ PB Blaster and then try w/ the vice grips again; or 2) using heat; or 3) buying a can of compressed air (like for cleaning computer keyboards) and turn upside down and freeze the fitting. You may have better luck than me... I ended up having a local guy cut and re-flare the hard line because I don't have the flaring kit and didn't want to make it worse. Keep in mind the "nut" (collar) is mild steel, so it'll keep stripping off if already rounded off. I couldn't even get a flare wrench on mine to seat (metric or otherwise). Good luck. 

#5 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

Short answer is YES you can cut the hard line at the threaded collar and it will cut behind the flare so you'll be able to remove the collar easily and replace w/ a new one. But you'll need a flaring tool to re-flare the hard line which isn't cheap and not the easiest thing to do w/ limited space/angles. Went thru this a month ago, the one on my passenger side was already rounded off when I went to replace the flex lines and I was in the same position. Try 1) soaking the collar w/ PB Blaster and then try w/ the vice grips again; or 2) using heat; or 3) buying a can of compressed air (like for cleaning computer keyboards) and turn upside down and freeze the fitting. You may have better luck than me... I ended up having a local guy cut and re-flare the hard line because I don't have the flaring kit and didn't want to make it worse. Keep in mind the "nut" (collar) is mild steel, so it'll keep stripping off if already rounded off. I couldn't even get a flare wrench on mine to seat (metric or otherwise). Good luck. 

Thanks.  I already got a set of new lines for the entire car.  I was going to be doing the entire suspension and brakes including 4 wheel wilwood disks and hydroboost, but was planning to do it in a couple of phases.  Well now I could not remove a couple lines from the proportioning block too so I had an extra one laying around as the hydro boost I bought had a disc/drum valve with it and I purchases a disc/disc valve also.  I've already replaced the passenger side line and my plan is to use the new disc/drum valve and replace the rear chassis line as that one wont come out the old valve either, and be done with the front.  If I continue to have issues with lines not coming apart I will have to accelerate the rear suspension build because at that point I'll have to do the rear brakes.  That means ripping out the suspension and replacing it because the new brakes are set up for a Ford 9" axle.  And if I do that I should get my wheel tubs welded in (while the suspension is off the car) and if I have the welder out I should do the cage at the same time which will involve yanking out the interior.  All of this needs to get done anyways but I only have room to work on 1 car at a time.  My plan was to do the front on the firebird, then do the brakes, oil & lube on my daily, brakes on the wife's car and then put the firebird back into the garage for a couple of months.  If I end up having to do everything in one shot I'm going to have to find somewhere else or postpone the work on the dailies which is not really an option.  Hopefully I can just replace a couple of lines and hope the rear bleeders are not seized up too.  I haven't even checked them out yet but if I can't bleed the system I'm going to have to do everything now also.  I should look at those before I go any further with planning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users