Sagging door and inner safety bar questions - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Sagging door and inner safety bar questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cedonulli

Cedonulli

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • First Name:marv
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:OR
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

Drivers door hangs about an inch low. Hinges are fine. Im told these doors fall apart and that the inner bolts are seated in plastic with no metal backup so I took the door off and totally apart. I dont see the shell separation Ive read about. Found a youtube where a guy makes metal backing plates for inner door then has bolts sticking out bottom of door. Does anyone know more about this? Every time I go to a junk yard for a drivers door, they have been removed so it must be a big problem.

Also, these things are flimsy! Wouldnt want to be T Boned. Saw the metal bar inside but its little. Anyone replaced it with a larger one or is there an after market uptrade?

Edited by Cedonulli, 3 weeks ago.

#2 GaryDoug

GaryDoug

Ramblin' Wreck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4991 posts
  • First Name:Gary
  • City:Tarpon Springs, Gulf Coast
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:EE from Ga Tech, but I can't fix your TV, so don't ask ;-)
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LS1
  • Transmission: 4L60-E Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

There is a metal plate inside the door that has the studs attached. Nuts go inside the hinge. I can't say about the other side of the hinge where it attaches to the body. I have never had to remove it. Mine had a crack in the hinge area due to my 280 lb cousin sitting on the door while open. I removed the door and patched it with fiberglass layers and marine epoxy (not the hardware store stuff in a tube). That was in 2014 and it's still fine today.

Perhaps it has just slipped out of adjustment at the hinges.

Attached Files

Edited by GaryDoug, 3 weeks ago.

gallery_14511_2130_2884.jpg
1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock - one owner - driven daily - Scan9495 author

#3 tom99

tom99

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • First Name:Tom
  • City:st Louis
  • State or Province:MO
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

Biggest problem is the top edge separating, there is a 3mm 2 part panel bond that takes a special gun to apply for a lasting repair. Regular epoxy, jb weld and others just don’t last. Amazon link for whole setup just ruff up edges with sandpaper and use a little thinner or solvent to wipe dust off

3M 08115 Panel Adhesive & 3M 08571 Manual Applicator Gun w/ABN Sticker [Misc.] https://smile.amazon...i_H9qfFbTSKAF5P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3032 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

That 3M adhesive is good stuff. Same thing aircraft industry uses to bond airplane panels together.

West systems fiberglass resin is also top notch for repairing 4th gen plastic parts.

1 question Tom. How do you fit that big lab on your lap? I have a black lab also. Her name is Izzy.

#5 tom99

tom99

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • First Name:Tom
  • City:st Louis
  • State or Province:MO
  • Year: 1999
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3800
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

I’ve got a lot of lap.. also he wasn’t heavy he was my Buddy dog....He got his wings February 12 2018, can’t really bear to change the pictures. Got another large friend though, Cupid Puppy dog The America Bulldog 9a6abff7e1e0214ded9a7c6b4001a539.jpg

#6 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3032 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 2 weeks ago

Sorry to hear your lab is gone. To dog lovers, having one pass away is just like having a close family member go. My Izzy is 9, so I have to start worrying about the declining years.

#7 Cedonulli

Cedonulli

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • First Name:marv
  • City:portland
  • State or Province:OR
  • Year: 1997
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: firebird
  • Engine: 3.8
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 2 days ago

Biggest problem is the top edge separating, there is a 3mm 2 part panel bond that takes a special gun to apply for a lasting repair. Regular epoxy, jb weld and others just don’t last. Amazon link for whole setup just ruff up edges with sandpaper and use a little thinner or solvent to wipe dust off

3M 08115 Panel Adhesive & 3M 08571 Manual Applicator Gun w/ABN Sticker [Misc.] https://smile.amazon...i_H9qfFbTSKAF5P

Thanks---I keep hearing about these things separating but I have not seen any pictures to know what Im trying to find. I know my door, once I took it off the car, had the window just fall into the inside and it flops around.  ANyone have photos of these things separating?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users