I think this may be the PS issue. - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

I think this may be the PS issue.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:Bentonville
  • State or Province:AR
  • Interests:Shooting and antiques
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 301
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

I ordered the new rebuilt under warranty PS pump. It will be here tomorrow. So I removed the unit and found this on the HP line. It looks like a kink restricting flow. When I pulled it off I thought I don't remember the line having this kind of kink and the unit I put on about 9 months or more ago and it was working fine until it went into the shop for repair. Could this have happened because of the accident? Could the side swipe in the rear end have jared the eng. enough to kink the line? Any opinions appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2047 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 3 weeks ago

I highly doubt the rear impact had anything to do with that.  It isn't a full frame vehicle, so the uni-body should absorb most all of the impact without transferring anything to the front subframe the engine is cradled in.  Even bashing the rear tire to the point the rear end is pushed 6" towards the opposite side in my mind would be offset by the 2 u-joints and not transfer much if any impact to the transmission.  ...and even then, I can imagine all the rubber mounts between the engine and transmission absorbing what little impact was transferred if any.

The impact was right to left, not rear to front, right?  ...so most of the force was transferred to the left, not forward.  Sure, some crumpling happened to the body which did produce some pinching and stretching front to rear, but again, the front subframe would isolate nearly all of that.

Even if all the force was transferred forward, there is still a flexible line in between the rack and pump.  The engine would have to move to the point of catastrophe to begin pulling on the metal hose enough to twist it like that, or the front subframe would have to be completely destroyed.

I'd guess it was either mishandled, or got hung up on something on the lift somehow.   As they did have to "straighten the frame", my money is on mishandling one way or another.  Maybe they thought it was unbolted and pulled on it, or removed it, dropped it, and stepped on it.  Or maybe put it on a bench and something heavy fell on it?   No clue, but 99.9% of me thinks this is not a result of the accident, and even if I did think it was related, my brain can't make the physics work without the car being completely destroyed.

Either way, I don't think anything can be proven.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3029 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 3 weeks ago

I would order a new line and compare it to old one. However, because of the extreme bend angle that end of hose needed, the kink might have been put in the line by the hydraulic bending machine used to form bends.

That's why I recommend buying a new hose. If new hose doesn't have kink, install it. If new hose has same kink as old hose, either keep it as a spare, or send it back for a refund.

#4 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I could have done this. I was thinking about this and when I put on the new line the tolerances on it were very close to the fan. I did have to bend the line a bit to get it away from the fan blade. I would not think it bent this much and it put the bend in very slightly but this could have been me. I only moved the line a small amount but it was on and I was under neath the car so I will call this most likely my fault. I was not trying to get insurance to pay for it. Its only a 15 dollar new part. I have one coming in from AZ this AM. Not sure if I should cancel the pump just yet. Its coming in late this afternoon. I may put on the hose and pump and see if that fixes the issue. The thing that threw me was that the PS worked great for months and when I took the car in to get it repaired i noticed the PS was not working at Idle. I assumed that the accident had something to do with it.my question is is that kink enough to restrict the flow to cause the issue I am having or is it a combination of a kink and the something with the pump.

Edited by edteach, 3 weeks ago.

#5 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes, the kink is enough to cause the issue.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#6 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well I put in a new line and that was not the issue. So now I have to do it all over again and put in the new pump.

#7 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3029 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 3 weeks ago

Don't forget that steering gear also has much to do with system operation. A worn out power steering gear box can cause your problem.

#8 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well I just picked up the pump. So if its still an issue after that, it leaves only the gear box.

#9 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 3 weeks ago

Jim, As an aircraft mechanic, I remove and install hydraulic lines regularly. That kink was caused by "loosening" the B-nut, after it had been over tightened and twisting the line. Or, as you suggested, pulling or pushing on the hose/line assy. That is the weak point of the line. Fixed to the pump and a short distance before the radius bend it is easy to kink. Also the torque required to tighten hydraulic lines and hoses is nothing compared to bolts and nuts. If you don't have a torque wrench, just SNUG! Then LEAK Check and a little more if needed. Pete

#10 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 3 weeks ago

Jim, Have you read Shbox.com about bleeding the Power Steering. Very informative about F- bodies if you haven't discovered that website. Thank You Shbox.com!

#11 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Put on the new pump and it holds 15 on the vacuum and works fine. Works like it should. Hope this is done.

But on the up side I shaved my install to 12 min and removal to 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users