Red Light Runners - RIP 1996 Trans AM - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Red Light Runners - RIP 1996 Trans AM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 2002
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird Coupe
  • Engine: 3.8L V6
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

Hello FBN, Last Wednesday about 10AM, two teenage girls going to an interview ran a red light and T-boned into the left front of my car. I thank God and airbags that none of us were hurt. Their insurance hasn't looked at it yet but I think it will be totaled. See the attached photos!

Attached File  20200708_103327.jpg   170.68KB   3 downloads 

Attached File  20200710_112814.jpg   214.7KB   3 downloads

#2 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4191 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Pete, Glad no one was hurt!!!! So sorry to see this though. That was a beautiful car and well taken care of.

Prepare for a fight with the insurance company. They will try to total it and give you a low ball payoff. Get your photos ready, as well as receipts for ALL the work you've done on it.

Hope they gave the driver of the other vehicle a ticket, and that there were other witnesses that saw the accident to back up that they ran the light. If not then their insurance may try to prove otherwise.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#3 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Layna, Yes there were witnesses and they stayed around and gave their info to the officer. The other driver was cited. I will meet with their insurance guy later this week for the "photo shoot" and then the adjuster will be in touch. I am playing nice for now. Humor is the best medicine. My favorite line right now, "My chick magnet attracted the wrong type of women and way to fast!" LOL :)

#4 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4191 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

lol, That's funny.

Hope all works out

• Papa Tango likes this

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#5 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

what a bummer    so many ppl don't pay attention when driving anymore

• Papa Tango likes this

#6 ZumpTA

ZumpTA

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2089 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • City:Holiday
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1993
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: LT1
  • Transmission: 6-Spd

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

Thank the airbags all you want, they had little if anything to do with your survival.  Thank GOD you weren't  0.5 seconds ahead of yourself or they weren't 0.5 seconds behind. You could have truly been t-boned and likely dead or in critical condition, and the car would be worse off than you. 

I hope you can work something out with insurance.  Sticking to your guns is your best weapon. They will lowball you at every step and drag things out to force you to settle out of desperation.  If you have receipts that certainly helps,  but they are literally going to throw the book at that car.  If you want it repaired or receive a reasonable payout, you have to prove the car sells over book.   Start hitting up all the autotrader type websites and build a physical portfolio by printing the listings showing it's worth $8,000 not $2,500.

Unfortunately, I think it will be totaled too.  Even valued at $10k that looks like "more than 50% of it's value to repair", and I'll never forget when my friend had his 6 year old Ford Ranger backed into.  All that happened was the fiberglass bed got a hole punched into it by a ball hitch behind the rear wheel.  Minor cosmetic damage only.  They said it was "totaled" and offered him $1,200.  ...for a near mint pickup.  He told them to F*off, and got nothing for his troubles.  We repaired it for $20 in materials, and he had that side of the bed painted for $200.   ...so, $250 in damage.   Even a replacement (salvage) bed would have been $500 tops plus paint, and the truck was worth at least $5k.  We think they wanted it for parts. 

...point is, don't trust insurance adjusters, their job is to save the company money, not help you.  They employ different tactics designed to break you, do not give in until you feel the offer is at the very least a fair one.

I'm hoping the damage isn't as bad as it looks even tho it looks bad.  I can almost see myself repairing that, but I can also almost see what I'm not seeing which does make it "unworthy" for repair.  That said tho, many cars that were once junked for their unworthiness are now being rescued and rebuilt so they weren't really lost causes afterall, the value-to-hastle ratio was just low at the time.   ...and you've seen what some members have brought back from the dead just out of love for the breed.

Worst case is probably keep the car, accept a small payout, and buy a cheap broken v8 'bird or a cheap but super clean v6 'bird and use yours as a parts car or donor vehicle, then part out what is left over on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, and sell the body to the salvage yard as scrap (or have them just remove it for you).  What you do have in your favor is the fact a blown head gasket repair, or a rebuilt transmission exceeds the book value of the cars or at least eats up half of it.  Best case, you get enough to buy a comparable Firebird.  Middle of the road, they repair it, and you have to wait and fight quality issues.

Glad you're all OK after that, I just hope the world hasn't lost another 'bird.   

Best wishes and best of luck to you.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...
and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."
-- Wernher von Braun

#7 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3070 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:29 AM

Sorry to hear of your accident.

When the insurance adjuster calls on you, have your Kelly blue book ready. Car dealers love the blue book as it has the highest retail prices contained within. It should help you get a fair shake with the insurance company.

And to show that you mean business, you might want to have your lawyer present at the meeting.

#8 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Tony and Robert, The Tucson guy is taking photos tomorrow and then sending his evaluation to the adjuster in Phoenix. I'll get a response next week, I'm figuring. Already expecting a lowball and I'm ready to get a lawyer involved if needed. I don't have anyplace to keep the car and part it out. Not sure what I am going to get next. I sure liked that car. It is not very nice when you are forced to have insurance and then you have to fight with them to get what you are paying for in the first place. Enough ranting! God is GOOD. He has a Plan and He still needs me in that Plan. I know that! Everybody be safe out there and pay attention to your driving. Pete :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users