1991 3.1L V6 Possible ECM issue - ECM/PCM - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

1991 3.1L V6 Possible ECM issue

ECM Restoration testing electrical

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lordgabe92

lordgabe92

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Dustin
  • City:Barlow
  • State or Province:KY
  • Interests:Just trying to get my late uncle's 1991 Firebird running.
  • Year: 1991
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.1L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hi, I'm Dustin and I just inherited a 1991 Firebird base 3.1L V6 from my uncle. It hasn't driven since 2005 so naturally it has a few things that need replaced. I am not very mechanically inclined, or physically able to do a lot underneath the car, so I took it to a shop in Johnson City TN (where he lived) to have them replace the faulty fuel pump. We had tested a few things before we towed it to them. Threw a hot battery on it and checked the lights and the car turned over, so we squirted a bit of gas in the throttlebody and she ran, albeit rough.

Anyhow, the guy from the shop called me and said there was an electrical issue and they couldn't touch it. There is a harness on the passenger side near the firewall that had the wires melted. He was concerned that the computer might be fried and since they didn't do electrical stuff at their shop told me good luck. 

All I need to know is if there is some way to check the ECM to see if it is fried or if the wires were just in bad shape from sitting outside for so long. I'm currently at home in West Kentucky and won't be back with the car for a few weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3033 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 4 weeks ago

There's no way that a non mechanical/electrical person can test the ecm.

But, if your willing to ship your ecm to me, I can put it in my 90 3.1 v6 and test it. I'll pay shipping back to you. Let me know if you want to ship your ecm to me. I'll give you my home address in a private message.

If your ecm does turn out to be bad, they are plentiful and reasonably priced on ebay.

However, you will have to take care of replacing the burnt up wiring. Because the engine/trans wiring harness separates from the body wiring harness, I suggest you buy the engine/trans harness from a 90-92 3.1 v6 car. Try craigslist & ebay for this.

If your not thinking you can successfully transfer the whole eng/trans harness to your car, you can use the harness to cut the wires out to fix the burnt out ones.

If you will go to the 3rd gen tech articles. When that pager opens, hit the master index at the top. When next page opens hit the 88 service manual and download it. It will have full wiring diagrams to help you. Also component location views, & connector face views.

88 service manual will share about 95% of info with your 91.

Remember, that even experts had to start out as newbees. It's time to start learning.

#3 lordgabe92

lordgabe92

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:Dustin
  • City:Barlow
  • State or Province:KY
  • Interests:Just trying to get my late uncle's 1991 Firebird running.
  • Year: 1991
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 3.1L V6
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 4 weeks ago

I will definitely look into getting the ecm off. Like I said it will be a few weeks before I can get back down to it (its 450 miles away) but I will let you know when I get it. I appreciate the help!

There's no way that a non mechanical/electrical person can test the ecm.

But, if your willing to ship your ecm to me, I can put it in my 90 3.1 v6 and test it. I'll pay shipping back to you. Let me know if you want to ship your ecm to me. I'll give you my home address in a private message.

If your ecm does turn out to be bad, they are plentiful and reasonably priced on ebay.

However, you will have to take care of replacing the burnt up wiring. Because the engine/trans wiring harness separates from the body wiring harness, I suggest you buy the engine/trans harness from a 90-92 3.1 v6 car. Try craigslist & ebay for this.

If your not thinking you can successfully transfer the whole eng/trans harness to your car, you can use the harness to cut the wires out to fix the burnt out ones.

If you will go to the 3rd gen tech articles. When that pager opens, hit the master index at the top. When next page opens hit the 88 service manual and download it. It will have full wiring diagrams to help you. Also component location views, & connector face views.

88 service manual will share about 95% of info with your 91.

Remember, that even experts had to start out as newbees. It's time to start learning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ECM, Restoration, testing, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users