Talk me off the ledge. - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Talk me off the ledge.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • First Name:Jim
  • City:Bentonville
  • State or Province:AR
  • Interests:Shooting and antiques
  • Year: 1980
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 301
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

So an update on my 80 Bird. Its been in the shop since Feb. The shop owner said he would have it back in two weeks. He kept dragging his feet and saying Covid had shut down the striping company and he was waiting to work on the car till he got the stripes and that would be in 4 weeks. After two months he kept saying he can not get the strips. That the strip company could not tell him when they would be able to produce the stripes.

I posted here and asked where to source the stripes and was told Phoenix graphics. I called and talked with someone there ordered the part and had it to my door in 4 days. I took the stripes in and dropped them off. He said he would have it for me in a week. That was a month ago. I would call and get well we are going to blend the fenders as they don't look right with the new paint on the rest of the car. Then after a week I called and he said he was going to repaint the hood because that did not look good with the fenders blended. That was two weeks ago or close to it. Then he said It goes to the striping shop who puts the vinyl striping on cars for him on Monday yesterday, and that he had to go to a meeting out of town but his shop would have it back Tuesday and I could pick it up.

I called today at 1pm and the idiot who answered I told that the owner said he had a meeting out of town and that the car would be done today and I could pick it up. The While E. said just a min and came back on and said the owner is out of town and he will call tomorrow. I said stop right there. He told me yesterday he was out of town and that the car was scheduled to be out of the striping shop on Monday and I could pick it up today and you guys would take care of it.

I get just a min. While E. comes back on and says he will call  you tomorrow he is out of town and that is where I hung up. I feel like leaving very bad negative feed back for this shop all over the net. I try not to get upset but there comes a point when I am dicked around that the anger just takes over. If I feel I am getting screwed around I can only go so far and the volcano blows. Am I being over critical? Thanks for any input.

#2 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4173 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted A week ago

Sadly it's an all to common story.

My suggestion at this point is stop with the phone calls and just start going there in person. Wearing a mask of course. Most shop owners pay more attention when you are in their face. Don't tell them you are coming. Go at different times, when they first open, lunchtime, and just before closing.

You don't want to upset your body guy, but sometimes they stretch the truth on their status. By seeing it yourself, you will be able to see when they've made progress and when they haven't.

If you don't see progress after the 1st couple of visits. Calmly ask the owner if he would prefer that you take it to another shop to finish it up. That should get his attention. If not, find out where your bill is at currently. Usually billed by hours of completed work + materials. (I'm presuming that you didn't pay the full bill up front.)

After that discussion with the owner you can decide whether you want to leave it there or pull it out.

• Papa Tango likes this

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#3 Papa Tango

Papa Tango

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • First Name:Pete
  • City:Tucson
  • State or Province:AZ
  • Interests:Aviation; Hiking; Camping
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 5.7L LT1
  • Transmission: Automatic 4LE

Posted A week ago

Jim, Layna is right on with her suggestions. Do it calmly. I would add that you take someone with you that can be the "bad guy". Have them primed to make the hard choices/ suggestions about taking it somewhere else if it's not done by _____! Also, did you authorize the extra work/ paint? There is room for negotiations on the bill if they are doing extra work just to keep the car and build up the total bill. Good luck, Pete

#4 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the input. I have calmed down a bit. Not that its IMO poor professionalism but I will see how it hammers out in the AM

#5 edteach

edteach

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted A week ago

Well I got a call today, the bird is back from striping but he needs to adjust the hood and the clips for the outside door window trim he can not find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users