455 Olds in a 71 - Drivetrain - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

455 Olds in a 71

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pghfirebird

pghfirebird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Keith
  • City:Pittsburgh
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: 400 turbo

Posted 4 days ago

So I recently purchased a 1971 FB with an Olds 455/400 trans combo. The motor is a 1968 455 out of a 442 and was rebuilt in 2001 and has had about 500 miles put on it since the rebuild. When they built the motor they did a great job and only used top notch parts and they had it blueprinted and balanced. So fast forward to today I own the car and the motor sits way to high in the engine compartment. Looks like the PO did some booty fab on a set of home made motor mounts. I thought well Ill just get some 403 MM but then I learned I have the early style motor mounts. Does anyone make MM for an F body with and Olds 455? Also it has some type of headers on it, Im guessing maybe a body Olds headers. Any input would be great. I have a ton of receipts for the rebuild and build I have been sorting through. My ultimate plan would be to get a Pontiac 455 and build it so that I can use the proper parts and build the car right.

#2 JoePeek

JoePeek

Firebird Master Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1418 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:Westfield
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Trans Am
  • Engine: 455 HO
  • Transmission: 4 speed

Posted 4 days ago

When you say the engine sits way too high, what makes you say this ? Can't you close the hood? Is it the fan & shroud don't line up? Is it something else?

#3 pghfirebird

pghfirebird

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Keith
  • City:Pittsburgh
  • State or Province:PA
  • Year: 1970
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 455
  • Transmission: 400 turbo

Posted 3 days ago

The oil fill tube hits the hood reinforcing and I cant get an air cleaner on without a drop base. I plan to pull the fill tube cut it and weld it to shorten it. I have a Trans Am hood and Im hoping with a drop base for a shaker I can get it to fit.

The fan is a whole other issue lol, so the center of where a mechanical fan would go is way to high on the rad. They used an electric fan set up but it’s older and has a very large motor. So they angled the rad it’s a odd set up.

I was hoping to find some motor mounts to get it to sit lower, more where the Pontiac motor would sit. So that I could get a normal shroud and fan and I could run a factory shaker. It does have an edlebrock intake and an Edelbrock 750 carb too, so that makes it sit a bit higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users