Looking for advice on Aerowing Spoilers - Third Generation Pontiac Firebird (1982 - 1992) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Looking for advice on Aerowing Spoilers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Weekend Warrior 71

Weekend Warrior 71

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:George
  • City:Shakopee
  • State or Province:MN
  • Year: 1989
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 5.0 Liter FI
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

I am helping my father in law with his 89 Firebird, been in the family since day one.  They are currently moving so I am storing the car and doing some requested repairs.  I already rebuilt the pop up headlight motors, fixed the broken turn signals and rebuilt the power antenna.  FYI, if anyone has to rebuild the power antenna, the inner cable from a mid 80s buick works like a charm.

I am now looking to get the spoiler taken care of.  It had the rubber rusted mess of a aerowing wrap around that plagued the 3rd gens.  I am looking at sourcing a fiberglass one and was hoping to keep costs down.  The cheapest I could find was $365 on ebay plus freight and finishing/paint.  I saw on this forum to check out Frankspontiacparts.com, but he doesn't have any listed.  I also read on here there are fitment issues with some of these fiberglass repops.  Ideally someone has one used for cheaper than new and then I would know it was fitted at some point as well.  Junk yards are not going to have many cars that old but I haven't exhausted that option yet.  Does anyone have any advice or tips on sourcing these aerowings?  Recommendations on where to get one or what brands are better?

I don't know much about Firebirds specifically, so please be patient with car specific knowledge I may lack.  In my experience being a DIYer mechanic, forums are the best source of knowledge when youtube and google fail to supply answers.  Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.  On another topic, has anyone had any success buffing out the standard whitening sun fading in the paint on these cars?  That is my next challenge on this car.  It isn't to the primer yet, but has the standard white circular fade spots (the car is red) that I've seen in pics on these cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users