Hey all, I thought I was a part of this forum...? - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Hey all, I thought I was a part of this forum...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slow_and_solo

slow_and_solo

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • First Name:Nate
  • City:VA Beach
  • State or Province:VA
  • Interests:Cars, Guns and sometimes I play computer games
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: th400 sitting in garage

Posted A week ago

In case I'm not, I'll make an introduction.

I picked up a parts car '78 and a clean roller '76 that'll be the keeper.

Goal was to have it running by now but with the recent purchase of a house and a string of bad luck (including a 2600 bill to get a tree removed, yes this was the lowest price to get it out in a reasonable time frame). I'm forced to move the goal posts again and aim for winter, assuming no more bad luck. Super disappointed in myself for this one, I usually burn through a project pretty quick but this time I feel pretty down about it. Having two of my childhood dream cars sitting for so long just kinda put a major damper on what I wanted to accomplish

I'm currently parting out the chevy 350, a pontiac 400 and selling two th350 transmissions that came with the cars. One of the TH350s has a rossler sticker on it. I heard it was a neat company but I have no interest in the trans since I have a TH400 in the garage that'll be going in the car. The parts car will be sold/parted out when I'm done with the 'building' part of the 'restoration.'
Goal is to have a 5.3 truck motor out of a silverado or something to have a 'complete' car. I have a plan, ebay mounts, trans adapter kit, holley termi-x and have yet to finalize my decision on what fuel set up ill settle on. Price estimate is about ~$4k for the swap, funny enough the motor will be the cheapest part of the drivetrain.

Currently, I'm painting the car, it's half primered after a lot of learning about spray guns the hard way. However, now that I have an idea of what I'm doing I'm burning through the work I wanted to do. I have to sand the body, rear bump, finish up the rear spoiler (winglets), and doors, then spray them all with primer. Once that is done I plan on shot gun sanding in 400 grit and hopefully start spraying real paint.

wish me luck? should be a good time!

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2982 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

Welcome to the forum/

Good luck with your project. However, I must warn you that some members here are Pontiac purists who cringe at the thought of swapping a Pontiac 400 for a Chevy ls series engine.

I am not one of the purists, I believe an owner should restore his/her car as they see fit.

So if you have questions, feel free to ask. We will try to give the best answers we can.

#3 07 Boss

07 Boss

Firebird Oil Changer

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • First Name:Ed
  • City:Las Vegas
  • State or Province:NV
  • Interests:anything on wheels that goes fast
  • Model: Firechicken
  • Engine: 350-4
  • Transmission: TH 350

Posted A week ago

Sounds like a cool build.  I've got a 76 that I'm building into a drag car with Ford and Chevy parts.  Yeah the purists will be upset but don't worry about it.  Plenty of support here from what I have seen.  Welcome.  I'm stripping my interior and there is a guy who may take some of the parts for his car but many won't fit.  You have a donor car but if you need some interior stuff that's in pretty good nick, let me know. 

That's a bold venture with the body work and painting.  I've never been brave enough to give it a try.  I might though one day.  

You should post up some pics of your project.  That way you have a running record of your work plus others can see and learn from your mistakes and successes.  Like you I have had a few delays in getting my project started and after 2-3 years we are starting to get rolling.  Here's mine.  https://www.firebird...-racecar-build/

#4 Formula71

Formula71

Garage Gopher

• Administrator
  • 4169 posts
  • First Name:Layna
  • City:Omaha
  • State or Province:NE
  • Interests:hummmmmm, cars? lol
  • Year: 1971
  • Model: Formula Firebird
  • Transmission: M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 Spd

Posted A week ago

Great to have you here. 

Lol, I'm one of those purists. That being said, there are builds that don't cry for a showroom restoration. Especially if the car's original engine and transmission are gone, or so irreparable that they are terminal.

Feel free to start a build post in the 2nd gen Showroom. It's a great way to keep track of your progress, ask your questions, and post photos, all in one spot. Plus you may be helping others with the information you post.

RIP Jay - So glad to have known you

#5 slow_and_solo

slow_and_solo

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted A week ago

Welcome to the forum/

Good luck with your project. However, I must warn you that some members here are Pontiac purists who cringe at the thought of swapping a Pontiac 400 for a Chevy ls series engine.

I am not one of the purists, I believe an owner should restore his/her car as they see fit.

So if you have questions, feel free to ask. We will try to give the best answers we can.

Thanks!

I'll let them cringe, there are more T/As and birds out there than will ever be restored. I'm just happy to own mine lol

I hope the only questions I'll need to ask is where the best places are to find cheap interior parts!

Sounds like a cool build.  I've got a 76 that I'm building into a drag car with Ford and Chevy parts.  Yeah the purists will be upset but don't worry about it.  Plenty of support here from what I have seen.  Welcome.  I'm stripping my interior and there is a guy who may take some of the parts for his car but many won't fit.  You have a donor car but if you need some interior stuff that's in pretty good nick, let me know. 

That's a bold venture with the body work and painting.  I've never been brave enough to give it a try.  I might though one day.  

You should post up some pics of your project.  That way you have a running record of your work plus others can see and learn from your mistakes and successes.  Like you I have had a few delays in getting my project started and after 2-3 years we are starting to get rolling.  Here's mine.  https://www.firebird...-racecar-build/

Thanks! I'm hoping it ends up as cool as it sounds like it will be. This car will likely end up as a street car built for the strip, as all 'racecars' go, it'll likely end up as a strip car I drive on the street.

I may end up contacting you but the plan for now is to have paint, LS swap and then touch up the interior.

Great to have you here. 

Lol, I'm one of those purists. That being said, there are builds that don't cry for a showroom restoration. Especially if the car's original engine and transmission are gone, or so irreparable that they are terminal.

Feel free to start a build post in the 2nd gen Showroom. It's a great way to keep track of your progress, ask your questions, and post photos, all in one spot. Plus you may be helping others with the information you post.

Oof, I hope you're not a purist for 3rd gens.. you'll hate to hear what I convinced a friend to do!

I didn't realize there was another spot for that, I just quickly posted in here thinking it was your showroom

#6 73Birdman

73Birdman

Not a Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
  • First Name:Arquis
  • City:Chicago
  • State or Province:IL
  • Interests:fast cars, shooting pool , sports, loving the White Sox, Hating the Cubs, and fast cars
  • Year: 1973
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

Tell the purists to eat sh*t and die.....unless its Layna!

#7 slow_and_solo

slow_and_solo

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted A week ago

well, i gotta get and sand both mirrors/rear flares off of the donor car, then sand the rest of the body and spray the whole car with primer.

getting closer!

#8 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Transmission: auto

Posted 6 days ago

Welcome to FBN Nate! Glad to see you're still working on the car!

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#9 slow_and_solo

slow_and_solo

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 5 days ago

Hey there!

Thanks!

I havent worked on it in awhile, between this post and the one on TAC, you should have a full idea of what I've been up to. I just started working on it again last week, I got rained out of finishing sanding today; have half a quarter panel and both rockers left before I can spray it with primer. I'm pretty bummed, I wish I couldve finished up but there is no room left in the garage with all the panels pulled apart to try and sand the last few spots.
On the bright side, I got enough thinner this morning to finish up what I need it for and I had to get a new HF gun since I didn't clean it well enough last time I used it. Lessons learned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users