Tach Repair - Pertronix Ignition Compatibility - Second Generation Pontiac Firebird (1970 - 1981) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Tach Repair - Pertronix Ignition Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • First Name:Joseph
  • City:Indianapolis (MARION)
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1973
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted 2 weeks ago

Tach PCB Is toasted on the 73 Formula I recently acquired.  Need to get it repaired.  But before I do...can anyone tell me if the stock tach setup is compatible with the pertronix flamethrower III ignition?

By PCB...I mean the small solid board PCB in the Tach Unit itself...not the flexible circuit for the whole dash.

Cheers, Joe

#2 Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • City:Sydney
  • State or Province:Other
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Firebird Formula
  • Engine: 403 Olds
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted 2 weeks ago

I once had a tachometer with a faulty also, a local guy repaired it with an external cb which was ugly even hidden under the dash. Eventually I found a NOS cb and proceeded to swap it over. It didn't work. So I sourced more tachos that worked to use as parts since mine had a perfect face. Nearly completed the swap and dropped it, bending all the needle and balance counterweight wire which I could never correct. I ended up buying the OER tacho at about 500 shipped and lost several working tachs plus nos CB, all with international shipping. I can't answer your question but it can get very expensive chasing parts for a tach repair, look for a replacement if possible.

#3 CBJoe

CBJoe

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • First Name:Joseph
  • City:Indianapolis (MARION)
  • State or Province:IN
  • Year: 1973
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: TH400

Posted 2 weeks ago

Pretty sure this isn't a stock Tach but a replacement....not sure the brand as there are no markings.  Was going through the records and the PO had the tach replaced a few times by local (to him) repair shops....some under warranty so I feel like they were doing something wrong.

I'm gonna go through all the grounds and wiring (as much as I can) to be sure things are right before I install a new one.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users