Fuel Line/Carb Help - Amateur Mechanic - First Generation Pontiac Firebird (1967 - 1969) - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Line/Carb Help - Amateur Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jullman76

Jullman76

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • First Name:Justin
  • City:Glen Ellyn
  • State or Province:IL
  • Year: 1967
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: 326
  • Transmission: Auto

Posted A week ago

I have a 67 Firebird 326 that was my dad's before he passed five years ago.  I let it sit too long and need help diagnosing what is probably a simple problem.  Here is what i've done and some questions I have to keep dignosing.

Appears to have an original 2bbl carb in it.  When I turn the ignition, it turns but seems like it's not getting gas to the engine.  So I tried starter fluid directly into the carb which gets it to fire, but as soon as that fluid is exhausted, the engine totally stops.  I ordered and replaced the fuel filter from the pump and still have the same problem.  

First question, seems that the back of the carb has some type of T line that I'm guessing is the fuel return line.  It's coming out of the opposite side of the carb in relation to where the fuel line comes from the pump.  Earlier I thought maybe it was this return line and a pressure problem because on the driver side this line was connected to another line that starts heading towards the rear tank.  Am I correct about this?

I guess the second question would be to figure out if the fuel pump is bad.  I did notice that on the bottom of the fuel pump there is alot of grease but I guess it could be a dirt/gas mixture.  Although last fall when the car was running I didn't really smell a strong gas smell.  I've watched videos on how fuel pumps work and seems that a line is coming from the tank as I'm following it along the frame underneath the car.  Then I can follow the fuel line that feeds the carb.

Maybe we could start by guiding me to see if there is anything else I could test/try.  Second, is there anything I can do to tell if the fuel pump is actually working?  From a video i saw, since it's a mechanical fuel pump, hard to tell if the crankshaft(???) is turning the fuel pump.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • State or Province:FL
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

I know this might sound silly but are you sure there's enough gas in it? Can't tell you how many times I've seen people looking for the hard answer.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#3 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 2981 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted A week ago

And, since car has been sitting for many years, I guess, the gas in the tank will need to be drained & refilled with new gas.

Also there is a filter sock on the gas pickup tube inside the tank, that is most likely clogged with crud after sitting for a long time.

#4 Jullman76

Jullman76

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted A week ago

That was actually my next step.  Car has been sitting six months.  3/4 tank.  I swear I put Seafoam in it in the fall.  I was thinking that if it's bad gas, maybe I just disconnect the fuel line to the carb and see if it's at least pumping bad gas through.

As to the filter sock....no clue what that is or how to inspect that.  Guess my thought was to try as many things as possibly without removing the tank.   But sounds like I should buy a pump, get out the old gas, remove the gas tank(?) and I bet I can find this filter sock.

Thanks fellas.  Much appreciated.

#5 JOE68

JOE68

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • First Name:Joe
  • City:waterford
  • State or Province:PA
  • Interests:cars guns music beer
  • Year: 1968
  • Make: firebird
  • Model: hardtop
  • Engine: 350
  • Transmission: ST300

Posted A week ago

if it has ethanol gas in it the carb will need cleaned out.   this carb is very easy to work on.  the fitting on the back is for vac lines.  I don't recall a filter sock in the tank on these old ones,but I may be mistaken.   if any of your rubber fuel hose on the intake side of pump are rotting the pump will not draw gas.   the pump is not expensive and fairly simple to replace so it wouldn't hurt to change it.    just make sure the lever on the pump goes under the drive cam inside.

#6 Jullman76

Jullman76

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted A week ago

Well I removed the fuel line to the carb, tried to start it and no fuel spit out.  So thinking it's the fuel pump.  Two years ago I had nearly anything rubber in the car replaced.  BUT I'll swap out all the gas first and then replace the fuel pump.

You guys have been great.  Thank you very much.

#7 NOT A TA

NOT A TA

Firebird Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • First Name:John
  • City:Delray Beach
  • Year: 1970
  • Make: pontiac
  • Model: Esprit
  • Engine: 400
  • Transmission: auto

Posted A week ago

Attach a long piece of 3/8" fuel line to the feed side of the pump and run it up a couple feet into the engine compartment where it will stay vertical and not fall. Fill the hose with gas. Turn over the engine and see if the pump pumps or not. Then you'll know whether the pump is bad or not.

If you have a leak in the line between the tank and the pump, the pump would suck air rather than gas from the tank. So before getting involved in replacing the pump be sure that it isn't functioning  using the test sequence above.

John Paige

Lab-14.com

#8 Jullman76

Jullman76

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted A week ago

Thanks John......That's a good idea.......I'll try it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users