98 Firebird headlight won't move at all - Electrical - Firebird Nation

FirebirdNation.com is the premier Pontiac Firebird forum on the internet. Supporting Members do not see the above ads.
Photo
- - - - -

98 Firebird headlight won't move at all

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WishihadaLS1

WishihadaLS1

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:mikey
  • City:Agoura Hills
  • State or Province:CA
  • Year: 1998
  • Make: Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: Buick 3800 series v6
  • Transmission: Autmatic

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:57 AM

Headlights
I recently replaced the gear in my firebirds headlight but when I put the headlight back in, it only went up and down once. Now that I try to turn it on and off from the car or from the knob on the engine it will not move at all. The lights go on but the headlight wont move. I hear the motor for the headlight work but it can't move the headlight.

#2 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3070 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:37 AM

Sounds like your linkage is bound up. When you saw engine wouldn't move the light housing, I'm guessing you mean the manual raise knob on headlight motor.

So, remove linkage from motor and see if you can manually turn knob on headlight motor. If yes, then linkage is bound up. If no, you need to remove motor assembly and see if gear inside is jammed.

You can download the 98 factory service manual to assist you in your work. Get it at http://www.mediafire.../?40mfgeoe4ctti

And, here's a site with chapter & verse on headlight motor problems.http://www.bfranker....m/headlightfix/

One of the pieces of info I've learned from bfrankers site is; there are 4 metal tabs that hols gearbox section of headlight motor to the actual motor. These tabs can become loose and cause motor & gear housing assemblies to twist when motor runs.

This twisting motion will wear a new gear out in short order. And I'm betting that if the twist is bad enough, it can lock a motor up.

#3 WishihadaLS1

WishihadaLS1

Firebird Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • First Name:mikey
  • City:Agoura Hills
  • State or Province:CA
  • Year: 1998
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine: Buick 3800 series v6
  • Transmission: Autmatic

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

I can't really check this because my headlight wont go up with the knob at the top of the motor. I really have no way of accessing it.
The knob turns and the motor runs, but it just will not move the headlight housing at all

#4 sea dog

sea dog

Firebird Master Tech.

• Administrator
  • 3070 posts
  • First Name:Robert
  • City:Fruitland Park
  • State or Province:FL
  • Interests:cars, guitars, women, firearms,
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: transam
  • Engine: 5.7 lt1
  • Transmission: 4l60e

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

In that case, I believe your gears are stripped inside the gear housing. Or, have you checked to see if linkage between moto and headlight bucket might have come off or is stripped where it bolts to motor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users